- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.3 to 5.0 SP1
To switch to a new BlackBerry® smartphone and restore the data from a backup file, complete the following steps:
Task 1 - Back up the data from the existing BlackBerry smartphone
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
- Click Backup and Restore > Backup. A prompt will open with a default save directory and file name. The file will include today's date, and have the extension .ipd. If you wish to change the save location, do so now, otherwise click on Save. For more information, see the topic Back up handheld information in the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager online help.
- When the process completes, disconnect the BlackBerry smartphone.
Task 2 - Restore data to the new BlackBerry smartphone from the existing back up
- Remove the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card from the current BlackBerry smartphone and insert it into the new BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see Setting up your handheld in the Getting Started guide.
- Connect the new BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
- If prompted to switch the email account to the connected BlackBerry smartphone, click No.
Note: If you are prompted to switch the existing email account, and you do so now, an error will occur when attempting to restore data to the BlackBerry smartphone from the backup file.
- If the new BlackBerry smartphone had a previous owner, clear all data from the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see Type an Incorrect Password in Application Loader in KB02318.
- In the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, click Backup and Restore > Restore.
- Select the backup file to load onto the new device. Click Open.
- A warning appears stating that the existing data on the BlackBerry smartphone will be overwritten with this backup file. To proceed, click Yes. For more information, see the topic Restore handheld information in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager online help.
- Once the process completes, disconnect the BlackBerry smartphone.
Task 3 (BlackBerry Enterprise Server users) - Switch your email account to the new BlackBerry smartphone
- Reconnect the new BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
- When prompted to switch the email account to the connected BlackBerry smartphone, click Yes.
- If prompted to update the BlackBerry® Device Software, follow the instructions on the screen.
- When prompted to generate a new encryption key, click OK, and then move the mouse in a random motion until the Generating New Key dialog box closes.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.