- BlackBerry® Desktop Software
- Microsoft Windows®
When the BlackBerry® Desktop Software is uninstalled or updated to a more current version, the following InstallShield® error message appears:
Error 1316 A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi
Note : InstallShield is using the installation files from the previous version of BlackBerry Desktop Software.
Complete the following steps in order, if a step resolves the issue it is not necessary to complete the remaining steps:
Step 1 - An older version of BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed
Remove the previous version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software and install the new version.
Use Add/Remove Programs to remove the previous version.
To remove the BlackBerry Desktop Software with Add/Remove Programs, complete the following steps:
XP, Vista, Windows 7
- Close the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- Click Start>Control Panel> double-click Add/Remove Programs or Programs> Uninstall a Program.
- Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove or Uninstall.
- In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Remove and Next.
- In the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
- In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.
Note : Once the uninstall process is completed, it is suggested to reboot/restart the computer.
Step 2 - Rename the InstallShield folder and reinstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\
- Right-click the InstallShield folder and select Rename.
- Rename the folder InstallShield_old.
- Install the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
Step 3 - Repair the current installation of BlackBerry Desktop Software
- Download the matching version of BlackBerry Desktop Software from the BlackBerry website.
- Rename the file from a .exe to .zip
- Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder on the Desktop.
- Run the uninstall process of BlackBerry Desktop Software but when the Installshield Wizard pops up be sure to select Repair, when the Windows Installer error message shows up click Browse
Navigate to the folder on the Desktop and select BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi
Note : Only the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software is available from the BlackBerry website.
Step 4 - Clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
Manual removal of the BlackBerry Desktop Software might be necessary in some cases. For information on how to perform a clean uninstall, see KB02206.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.