- BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 to 5.0
- BlackBerry® 7.1
- BlackBerry® 7
- BlackBerry® 6
When attempting to update contact entries in the Address Book, the following error message appears:
Address updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed.
Complete the following steps in order until resolution is obtained:
Step 1 - Install the latest version of BlackBerry Device software.
Upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software to the latest approved version. For instructions, see KB03901.
Step 2 - The Address Book database on the BlackBerry smartphone is corrupted.
- If wireless synchronization is turned on, disable it by completing the following steps:
- On the BlackBerry smartphone, open the Address Book.
- Press the Menu key, and click Options.
- Click Wireless Synchronization, and click Change Option.
- Click No.
- Save the changes.
- Clear the Address Book database. For instructions, refer to the following knowledge base articles:
- Synchronize the Address Book data. For instructions, see the BlackBerry Desktop Software Users guide found here
Note: To turn on wireless synchronization, follow the instructions for disabling wireless synchronization and select Yes in step 4.
Step 3 - Multiple databases on the BlackBerry smartphone are corrupted.
- Back up all of the data on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB12487.
- Delete all of the data on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB02318.
- Perform one of the following steps:
- If the BlackBerry smartphone is not associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, synchronize the BlackBerry smartphone with the computer.
- If the BlackBerry smartphone is associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, activate the BlackBerry smartphone. For information on performing the enterprise activation process, see the specific BlackBerry smartphone User Guide located in Product Documentation.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.