- BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0 to 7.1
The following tasks and steps permit the back up and restoration of data to a BlackBerry smartphone that uses BlackBerry Desktop Software. It is also possible to schedule automatic backups of BlackBerry smartphone data when the BlackBerry smartphone is connected to the computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software is running.
Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to a computer that has BlackBerry Desktop Software installed.
For a backup of the data on a BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:
- Click on Device from the upper left-hand corner of the BlackBerry Desktop Software and select Back up from the drop-down list, or simply click Back Up Now from the main screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- Mark the appropriate customization level ( Full, Quick, Custom).
- If your smartphone includes built-in media storage and you want to back up data that is stored there, select the Files saved on my built-in media storage check box.
- Input a file name if desired, or leave the default text.
- Leave the Encrypt backup file unchecked.
- Select Back up.
Scheduling automatic backups
To enable automatic backups of the data on BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected to computer, complete the following steps:
- Connect BlackBerry smartphone to computer.
- Launch BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Device and then Device options.
- On the General tab, in the When I connect my device section, perform one of the following:
- To back up the data and settings on the BlackBerry smartphone, select the Back up my device check box. In the drop-down list, click how often back up of device data and settings need to be performed
- To synchronize calendar entries, contacts, memos, and tasks, select the Organizer data check box.
- To synchronize songs, pictures, and videos, select the Media files check box.
- To keep the date and time on BlackBerry smartphone synchronized with the date and time on computer, select the My computer's date and time with my device check box.
- Click OK.
To restore data from a backup file to a BlackBerry smartphone, see KB10339.
To perform the above steps on a Mac computer, see KB18776.
Reference KB03974 for a list of all the databases available on BlackBerry smartphones.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.