- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
When attempting to activate a BlackBerry® smartphone on the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, the following error message is received on the BlackBerry smartphone:
Activation request failed - a service connection is unavailable
This error can occur by one of the following causes:
- The BlackBerry smartphone is not registered with the wireless network.
- A call is being made from the BlackBerry smartphone while it is attempting to Enterprise Activate.
- The signal strength on the BlackBerry smartphone is insufficient.
- Data services are not enabled.
- The BlackBerry smartphone does not have the correct data plan or provisioning.
The BlackBerry smartphone is not registered with the wireless network.
Register the BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network. For instructions, see KB00510.
A call is being made from the BlackBerry smartphone while it is attempting to Enterprise Activate.
End the call and attempt to activate the BlackBerry smartphone again.
Signal strength on the BlackBerry smartphone is insufficient.
Move to an area with greater signal strength.
Data services are not enabled.
To turn on data services on a Blackberry smartphone complete the following steps:
For BlackBerry Device Software 5.0:
- From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, select Options > Mobile Network.
For BlackBerry 6 and 7:
- From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, select Options > Network and Connections > Mobile Network.
Perform one of the following actions:
- To turn on data service, change the Data Services field to On.
- To turn on data service when roaming, change the When Roaming field to On or Prompt
- Press the Menu key and click Save.
The BlackBerry smartphone does not have the correct data plan or provisioning.
Contact the wireless service provider to provision the BlackBerry smartphone for BlackBerry Enterprise Server services.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.