- BlackBerry® smartphones
Applications can be made available to a BlackBerry smartphone for installation over the wireless network using the BlackBerry® Browser. Applications that can be installed by a web site have the extension .JAD.
To deploy a .JAD application using a web site, complete the following steps:
- Create a folder in <drive>:\Intepub\wwwroot\<application name> on the computer hosting the Microsoft® Internet Information Services (IIS).
- Copy the .JAD and .COD file into this folder. Separate subfolders can be created for different BlackBerry device software versions.
- On the computer hosting the Microsoft IIS, click Start.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Click Internet Information Services Manager.
- Right-click the server name and click Properties.
- Click the Internet Information Services tab.
- Click MIME Types.
- Click New.
- In the Extension field, type .JAD.
- In the MIME type field, type text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor.
- Click OK.
- In the MIME type also ensure the .cod MIME type is set to application/vnd.rim.cod.
- Click OK
- Verify in the IIS Manager, select the Web Service Extensions.
- Select Active Server Pages (asp) and ensure that it is set to Allow.
- Inform BlackBerry smartphone users of the web address to download the application (for example, http://<Servername><application name>/<application name>.JAD).
BlackBerry smartphone users are prompted to install the application when the URL is accessed by the BlackBerry Browser.
The URL for the application can be linked in an HTML document or emailed to the BlackBerry smartphone users to make the application easily accessible.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.