- BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6.0
- BlackBerry® smartphones
- Your BlackBerry smartphone must be running BlackBerry Device Software 6.0.
- If you want to access music and playlists using a Wi-Fi connection, verify the following requirements:
- The Wi-Fi connection for your BlackBerry smartphone must be turned on. When you install Wi-Fi Music Sync, the Wi-Fi connection for your BlackBerry smartphone should turn on automatically.
- The network Wi-Fi router that your computer and the BlackBerry smartphone are associated with, must be turned on.
- Your computer must be connected to your Wi-Fi router. Your computer does not need to use Wi-Fi technology, as it can use a wired connection, but it must be connected to the same network and subnet as your router.
- If your BlackBerry smartphone is associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, the IT policies on your BlackBerry smartphone must allow Wi-Fi connections. For more information, contact your administrator
For steps and screenshots on installing WiFi Music Sync, see KB23921.
- On your BlackBerry smartphone, from the Home screen, click the Media icon.
- Click Music.
- The music application will allow you to browse songs by All Songs, Artists, Albums, Genre, or Playlists.
- Songs that are available for downloads from your iTunes or Windows Media Player Library will be displayed dimmed. Dimmed songs have not been downloaded to the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Click on a dimmed song to download, and when prompted, select Download.
- The song or playlist is added to your Downloads list as pending and is downloaded to your BlackBerry smartphone when you are within range of your Wi-Fi connection or when you connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer with a USB cable and click Sync.
Playlists can be downloaded, changed, or created using Wi-Fi Music Sync on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- To view the Playlists available for download, go to Media > Music and click Playlists.
- Playlists that are available for downloads from your Apple iTunes or Windows Media Player Library are dimmed.
- Highlight a dimmed playlist.
- Press the Menu key and choose Download All.
- Once the download progress completes, a playlist is available for playback.
- Highlight the playlist, press the Menu key, and choose Play.
The following two types of playlists can be created on the BlackBerry smartphone:
- Standard Playlists
- Automatic Playlists
Standard Playlists allow you to add individual songs to a list for playback on the BlackBerry smartphone. Standard Playlists automatically synchronize with the computer using a USB or the Wi-Fi network and appear as an available playlist in iTunes or Windows Media Player.
- To create a Standard Playlist, go to Media > Music and click Playlists.
- Choose Standard Playlist.
- Type a name for the playlist and click OK.
- Add music to the playlist. Press the Menu key, and click Add Songs.
- Click a song to be added.
- Once the song displays in the playlist, press the Menu key, and click Add Songs to add more songs to the playlist.
- When finished adding songs, press the Menu key, and click Save.
Note: The playlist name can be changed at anytime by highlighting the playlist, then pressing the Menu key, and clicking Rename. The name change will automatically synchronize to the computer.
Automatic Playlists are playlists that automatically populate songs from downloaded music on the media card. The song list continues to update as more content is downloaded and added to the media card that matches the selected criteria for the playlist. The Song list can be generated by choosing Artists, Albums, or Genres. Automatic Playlists do not synchronize to the computer.
- To create an Automatic Playlist, go to Media> Music and click Playlists.
- Choose Automatic Playlist.
- Type a name for the playlist and click OK.
- The Automatic Playlist will provide the options to Play, View Songs, and Choose Songs by Artists, In these Albums, or Of these Genres.
- Click the Plus sign (+) beside one of the categories.
- Choose an Artist, Album, or Genre, depending on which category was selected.
- The menu will return to the main automatic playlist section. Repeat step 5 and 6 to add more artists, albums, or genres to the list.
- To expand the view of selected artists, albums, or genres under each category, click the small Plus sign (+) to the left of the categories
- When finished, choose Artists, Albums, or Genres. The Automatic Playlist will have automatically generated a list of songs based on the selection criteria. To view the song list, click View Songs.
- Click Play to begin playback of the Automatic Playlist.
- Click Menu > Save to save the Automatic Playlist.
Note: Playlists are not available for playback if the songs, albums, artists, or genre that was selected is dimmed and not downloaded to the media card. During the creation of either type of playlist, you can highlight the item being added and press the Menu key > Download (All).
Wi-Fi Music Sync Options
To access the options for Wi-Fi Music Sync, go to Music, press the Menu key, and select Options. Scroll to Wi-Fi Music Sync.
The following options are available to configure the default behaviour of Wi-Fi Music Sync:
Use the following methods to download music files from the computer:
- USB and Home Wi-Fi
Check for update now:
This option checks for new Wi-Fi Music Sync software.
For more information on Wi-Fi Music Sync and tips on troubleshooting, consult the user guide for BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.