- BlackBerry® 6
- BlackBerry® 7
BlackBerry® 6 introduced several features to the BlackBerry smartphone, one of which is the simplified browser selection. Previously, a BlackBerry smartphone user made a selection from the Internet browser, BlackBerry® Browser, Hotspot browser, or WAP browser. With BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7, the user is no longer required to make a browser selection, as the browser is now automatically selected.
The BlackBerry Browser continues to leverage multiple transport options, such as BlackBerry® Internet Service, BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, BlackBerry® Mobile Data System, and Wi-Fi® technology; however, the user is no longer required to manually change and configure these settings. The browser automatically leverages the optimal transport available at any given time, to ensure optimal performance and minimal impact to the cellular network. Additionally, the manual controls to change settings have been removed from the browser options screen to simplify the user experience.
The priority is as follows:
- Browser transport that the application programming interface (API) specifies
- Browser transport that the BlackBerry MDS Browser Domains Wi-Fi Internet Access Path IT policy rule specifies
- Browser transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server if the domain name does not include a period (.) or it is a private IP address
- Direct Wi-Fi transport
- Wi-Fi transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Browser transport that uses a USB connection to a computer
- Wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Internet Service
- Wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Browser transports based on the order in the browser configuration records
NOTE: For for information about the Wi-Fi Internet Access Path IT policy, see KB23701. For information on how to import this and other IT policies for BlackBerry 6, see KB23515. For information on how to import IT policies for BlackBerry 7, see KB29510.
NOTE: For more information about how the browser is automatically selected, see - BlackBerry Browser - Technical Note.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.