- BlackBerry Messenger 5.0.1 to 7.0
- BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 to 5.0
- BlackBerry 6
- BlackBerry 7
- DT 834085
After an upgrade to the latest version of BlackBerry Messenger, the BlackBerry Messenger icon disappears from the home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone.
The installation of BlackBerry Messenger did not complete.
When upgrading to the latest version of BlackBerry Messenger please ensure that the latest, legally approved version of BlackBerry Device Software provided by your wireless service provider is running on the BlackBerry smartphone. Please use the following chart to verify the minimum required version that is supported by BlackBerry Messenger:
BlackBerry Device Software Version
Minimum Version of BlackBerry Device Software Required
BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 to 4.7.1
Note: BBM 6 is not supported for the above software versions.
|BlackBerry Device Software 5.0||188.8.131.522|
Failure to have the minimum required version of BlackBerry Device Software, as outlined above, may result in the disappearance of BlackBerry Messenger from the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone.
The BlackBerry Messenger icon is hidden on the BlackBerry smartphone home screen.
- Confirm that the BlackBerry Messenger icon has not been relocated to a folder, such as Downloads or Instant Messaging, on the Home screen.
- If using BlackBerry 6 or BlackBerry 7 confirm the icon is not hidden using the Universal Search feature
- Perform a hard reset. For instructions, see KB02141.
- If the hard reset does not bring the icon back, attempt to download and install BlackBerry Messenger again.
Download BlackBerry Messenger from www.blackberry.com/messenger or from the BlackBerry App World storefront.
To determine the version of BlackBerry Device Software currently running on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB23393.
To update the BlackBerry Device Software running on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB16068.
NOTE: For users running BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 or later, prior to updating the BlackBerry Device Software it is recommended to backup the BlackBerry Messenger contact list. For instructions, see KB20554.
- From the home screen click the Menu button and select Show All Icons. This will display all icons that were previously hidden.
- Ensure the BlackBerry Messenger icon is not transparent, which would indicate the application is hidden from sight on the home screen.
- If the icon is transparent, highlight the BlackBerry Messenger icon, click the Menu button, and select Unhide Icon.
BlackBerry Messenger 6.0 has the following minimum system requirements:
At least 4.0 MB of available application storage.
- BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later.
- A wireless service data plan.
Note: Depending on the wireless service provider or organization, BlackBerry Messenger may not be available for use. For more information on the the BlackBerry Messenger application, including Release Notes or minimum requirements please see available product documentation and User Guides located on BlackBerry.com.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.