BlackBerry Device Software 5.0
BlackBerry Protect application
Data restored from a backup file is merged with any existing data on the BlackBerry smartphone. For example, if restoring new contacts to a database with existing contacts, all contacts will be merged. If the same contact exists on the BlackBerry smartphone and in the backup, the contact in the backup will replace the contact on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- In the BlackBerry Protect application on the BlackBerry smartphone, click Restore From Backup.
- If necessary, select the applicable smartphone to restore data from.
- Select the date of the backup to restore data from.
- Select the check boxes for the types of data to restore (E.g. Address Book). Click Next.
- Type the password for the BlackBerry ID account.
- Click Start Restore.
When the BlackBerry Protect app has been reinstalled, or if a security wipe has been performed on the device, the following steps will need to be performed:
- Open the BlackBerry Protect application.
- Select the check boxes for the types of data to restore (E.g. Address Book).
- Choose the Backup Frequency.
- Select to enable or disable Location Reporting.
- Connect BlackBerry ID with BlackBerry Protect by selecting Connect (A prompt to sign into the BlackBerry ID account may appear).
- Select Restore From Backup or Start Protect (Please note that Start Protect has the ability to remove previous backup files).
- Review and accept the terms for the BlackBerry Protect Service License Agreement.
- Select a backup file to restore from.
For more information on BlackBerry Protect, please see http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/
BlackBerry Messenger contact data is not backed up, and therefore is not restored through the BlackBerry Protect app. Please see KB21251 for information on backing up the BlackBerry Messenger contact list.
Please see KB25062 for guidance on using the BlackBerry Protect app to back up data.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.