- BlackBerry ID
BlackBerry ID is designed to allow a convenient and secure method to authenticate the identity across various BlackBerry related products and services. This allows for seamless transferring and sharing of information across the products or services that the account has been authorized for. (Example: A user can have the same BlackBerry ID authenticated to a BlackBerry smartphone and a BlackBerry PlayBook to share billing information for purchases with BlackBerry App World.)
Due to this sharing of information, it is not recommended to share a BlackBerry ID between multiple users.
Expected behaviors when a BlackBerry ID is associated to multiple devices of the same product lines (Example: Same BlackBerry ID used on 2 PlayBooks or 2 smartphones):BlackBerry App World
- When going into My World to download or purchase an application, change payment information, or manage the account details, a prompt to change the PIN associated to the account will be presented each time another device with the same BlackBerry ID attempts to connect to the BlackBerry App World account
- Note: There is a maximum of 15 (unique) device swaps per product line allowed in one year. Contact the service provider if the maximum number of device swaps has been reached in error.
- Subscriptions will be synchronized across all authorized devices
BlackBerry Internet Service (smartphones only)
- The BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) account is linked to the carrier billing identifier (SIM, ICCID, IMSI and MSISDN are common billing identifiers). Therefore if a different billing identifier (SIM) and different smartphone is used a new BIS account will be created and each smartphone will manage their own email addresses associated to each smartphone. This means that if a BlackBerry smartphone user has 2 devices and 2 billing identifiers (SIMs), 2 separate BIS accounts will be required, and any email address will need to be integrated on each BIS account separately.
- For more information on moving email accounts with the BlackBerry Internet Service, see the BlackBerry smartphone section of the BlackBerry Internet Service User Guide located here.
BlackBerry Protect (smartphones only)
- Each smartphone using the same BlackBerry ID will maintain its own backups/information in the BlackBerry Protect management site
- All smartphones associated to the same BlackBerry ID can be managed in the BlackBerry Protect management site by anyone who has the BlackBerry ID login information
Video Chat (PlayBook only)
- Video Chat requests will ring to all actively connected PlayBooks that are using the same BlackBerry ID.
- Only one of the PlayBooks can accept the incoming call. Once an active call is established, no other Video Chat requests will come through until the first call has ended.
- For more information, see KB26851.
BlackBerry Messenger (smartphones only)
- BlackBerry Messenger contacts will be associated to the BlackBerry ID account to allow for seamless restore
- It is not recommended to share your BlackBerry ID account with other users
- If you have shared your BlackBerry ID with someone else you may have issues accessing BlackBerry Messenger and or receive another user’s contacts
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.