- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
- BlackBerry Mobile Fusion
- BlackBerry Device Service
- BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 and 2.1
- BlackBerry 10 OS
To activate a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the BlackBerry Device Service or BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, use one of the following methods:
Note the following prior to performing an activation:
- The Activation/enrollment process establishes a secure work perimeter on the device to access the BlackBerry Device Service and further behind the company firewall. To setup a work email account in the work perimeter an email profile needs to be created and assigned to the desired user account.
If the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone already has a work perimeter, the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Administration Service console will display a warning message to indicate that the work data and work applications on the tablet will be deleted. Once the user confirms that the tablet can be activated, the existing work perimeter is deleted and a new work perimeter is created.
Method 1: Wired activation using BlackBerry Administration Service
- Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone to a computer that can access the BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Open the BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Under the Device menu expand Attached devices.
- Click Manage Current device.
- Click Assign the current device to a user.
- Search for the user account.
- In the search results select the user to be activated.
Method 2: Wired activation using BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager
- Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the computer.
- Open the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager within the browser on the users computer.
- Log into BlackBerry web desktop manager using the Active Directory credentials for the user to be activated.
- The activation process will start automatically.
Method 3: Wireless activation using Advanced Setup
Note: The BlackBerry PlayBook OS must be updated to a minimum of version 18.104.22.1682.
- On the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, click the Settings icon (gear) symbol in the top-right corner, or on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, click the Settings icon.
- Select Accounts and click Add New Account.
- Select Email, Calendar and Contacts.
- Select Advanced Setup.
- Click on Work Account.
- Enter the users email address for the User Id. Once the password and server address is entered click save.
- The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone will now be associated with the BlackBerry Device Service.
Note: If activating using a Wi-Fi network not trusted or within the enterprise environment (such as a home Wi-Fi or public hotspot), the server address should be the SRP ID for the BlackBerry Device Service.
Method 4: Wireless activation via the BlackBerry Infrastructure
Note: Applies to BlackBerry Device Service 6.2.
Before using this method, the BlackBerry Device Service needs to be configured to Register activation information with BlackBerry Infrastructure (see the Additional information section for details).
Follow these steps:
- On the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, click the gear symbol in the top right hand corner. On the BlackBerry 10 smartphone press the Settings icon.
- Select Accounts and then select Add New Account
- Select Email, Calendar and Contacts.
- Enter the email address and hit Next
- Enter the activation password provided and press Next
- Wait while the enrollment takes place.
By default, the BlackBerry Device Service is configured to register activation information with the BlackBerry Infrastructure when the activation password is set.
This setting can be accessed in the BlackBerry Device Service Administration Console:
- Expand Wireless Activations.
- Select Device Activation Settings.
To allow the activation settings to register with the BlackBerry Infrastructure, Register activation information with BlackBerry Infrastructure should be set to yes.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.