- BlackBerry 10
- BlackBerry Messenger
Click here to review important information before you switch devices.
In order to migrate a BlackBerry Messenger profile to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, please use one of the following methods:
Install BlackBerry Messenger 7.0
Note: This is the preferred method to migrate a BlackBerry Messenger profile.
- Install BlackBerry Messenger 7.0 on the previous BlackBerry smartphone via BlackBerry World.
- When prompted, log in with a BlackBerry ID account which will automatically associate the BlackBerry Messenger profile to the BlackBerry ID.
- On the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, log in using the same BlackBerry ID account and launch the BlackBerry Messenger application.
- If prompted to switch devices please review and confirm the switch to move forward.
- The BlackBerry Messenger profile will now be restored to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Backup/Restore via BlackBerry Link
- Connect the previous BlackBerry smartphone to a computer using a USB cable.
- Open BlackBerry Link.
- If prompted, enter the device password and click Unlock.
- Click Transfer Device Data.
- When prompted, connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone and select it when it is displayed.
- If prompted, enter the smartphone password and click Unlock.
- Click Next.
- The backup will be restored to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
- Click Finish.
- On the BlackBerry 10 smartphone launch the BlackBerry Messenger application.
- If prompted, enter the BlackBerry ID account details.
- Click Restore using Device Switch to restore the BlackBerry Messenger profile.
Note: If running BlackBerry 7.0 or 7.1 backup/restore via SD card can also be used.
Restore from email via BlackBerry 10 BlackBerry Messenger application
Note: This option only applies if the BlackBerry Messenger profile is configured to be backed up remotely on the previous BlackBerry smartphone and will only will only appear the first time BlackBerry Messenger is launched.
- Once the BlackBerry 10 smartphone has been setup, launch the BlackBerry 10 BlackBerry Messenger application.
- If prompted, enter the existing BlackBerry ID account username and password.
- Click the Restore from Email button to restore the BlackBerry Messenger profile.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
For information on how to create a BlackBerry ID from a computer, see KB24062. Alternatively a BlackBerry ID can be created from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone upon initial setup or under Settings > BlackBerry ID > Create New.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.