- BlackBerry smartphones
- BlackBerry 10 OS
- BlackBerry 6 to 7.1
- BlackBerry Messenger
- PR 279915
Opening BBM 7 on the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1 or opening BBM on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone prompts to complete the initial setup by restoring from email or device switch or the following error is displayed:
A temporary server error has occurred.
BBM contacts appear to have disappeared and are no longer associated to the BlackBerry ID.
Complete the steps below based on the applicable scenario:
Scenario 1: Contacts are visible in BBM 6 or a backup file was created using BlackBerry Desktop Software
To migrate the BBM contacts to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, see KB33259.
To migrate the BBM contacts to BBM 7 on the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1, update to BBM 7 through BlackBerry World and complete the initial setup.
Scenario 2: Contacts are missing in BBM 7 but a backup of BBM contacts has been made or the device has not been wiped since updating to BBM 7
Note: The following steps require an active wireless data plan on the originating smartphone.
To migrate the BBM contacts to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete the following:
- Complete the steps below to restore the contacts into BBM 7 on the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1.
- Open BBM on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone and complete the initial setup.
To migrate the contacts to BBM 7 on the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 6 to 7.1, complete the following:
- Re-install BBM 6.2 by accessing the following link on the originating smartphone:
- If a backup already exists, skip to Step 4. If not, continue with Step 3.
- After the downgrade is complete:
- Open BBM
- Press the Menu key and select Options
- Under Backup Management, select Backup and complete the following:
- Backup files locally to a microSD card.
- Backup files remotely by registering an email address that is in use on the smartphone.
- Launch BBM and choose the Restore option on the welcome screen.
- Restore the contacts using the method that was used to back them up.
- Go to BlackBerry World on the smartphone, navigate to My World and choose to upgrade to BBM 7.0.
- Once the update is complete, sign in using the BlackBerry ID account.
Scenario 3: Contacts are missing and no backups are available
Add contacts into BBM manually with no pre-existing backup data. Contact BlackBerry Technical Support Services for further assistance.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.