- BlackBerry 10 OS
- BlackBerry 7 OS and earlier
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
If the BlackBerry smartphone does not charge, use the following as a basis for helping the customer:
- Have the customer reproduce the issue for you and determine whether the battery charge indicator appears on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Ask the customer about their charging methods:
- Are they using third-party batteries or chargers?
- Are they using an old BlackBerry charger?
- Is the customer using alternative charging methods (for example, car USB port, airplane seat, or computer without any BlackBerry device management software such as the BlackBerry Desktop Software)
- If the smartphone is charging slowly, how much time does it take to fully charge the battery?
- If the customer uses a third-party battery or charger it could cause power problems, such as the inability to charge. Advise the customer to only use the battery and charger that BlackBerry specifies for use with their particular BlackBerry smartphone model.
- If the customer is using the specified charger but their battery still does not charge, check the battery icon. If the correct battery model is being used and a "?" appears, then the battery is not genuine and must be replaced.
- If the customer uses an old BlackBerry charger or an alternative charging method, there might not be sufficient current to fully charge a newer BlackBerry smartphone in the given time. Advise the customer to only use the charger that BlackBerry specifies for use with their particular BlackBerry smartphone model.
- Determine if a component (the smartphone, the battery, or the charger) is at fault by swapping it with known good components and recording the results. If the smartphone has a non-removable battery, test only the charger. Here are some sample scenarios to use during troubleshooting:
- Charge the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone with the customer’s battery and charger.
- Charge the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone with the customer's battery and a known good recommended charger.
- Charge the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone with a semi charged known good battery and the customer’s charger.
- Charge the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone with a semi charged known good battery and a known good recommended charger.
- If possible, repeat these tests with a known good BlackBerry smartphone of the same model as the customer’s and record relevant behavior such as display function or charge rate.
For more information, visit docs.blackberry.com. Under the BlackBerry Manuals & Help section, choose BlackBerry Manuals > Smartphones > BlackBerry smartphones. Choose the relevant BlackBerry smartphone model. Choose the relevant user guide and search for "Charging" to find relevant information. Additional help may be found on the BlackBerry smartphone’s Help application. Start the Help application, tap the Search icon (magnifying lens), and search for "Charging".
This article contains information previously documented in KB35621, KB35620, KB35436, KB35438, and KB35624.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.