- BlackBerry Link
- BlackBerry 10 OS
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
Note: BlackBerry Link cannot be disabled by an IT administrator, but access to some features in BlackBerry Link can be disabled.
Ask the customer if they experience issues accessing files on BlackBerry Link
- Ask the customer if they can access files from their BlackBerry smartphone on their computer.
- Ask the customer what type of file they are trying to view on their computer.
- Ask the customer if they can successfully use the Remote File Access feature.
- Remote File Access is only available in the File Manager application in the Personal space. Verify whether the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone is in the Personal space or Work space.
- BlackBerry Link acts as a gateway for Remote File Access. Verify the customer’s target computer is online and that BlackBerry Link software is running.
- Verify that BlackBerry Link software is allowed through the firewall settings on the customer’s computer.
Note: Some IT administration departments may not allow the Remote File Access feature.
- Verify the strength of the Wi-Fi or mobile network connection that the customer is accessing. Advise the customer to use a wired connection to their computer for their BlackBerry smartphone.
- If the customer is unable to access files away from their home network, they may need to allow their BlackBerry smartphone to access files over the mobile network. This feature is available on BlackBerry OS 10.1 and newer.
- For BlackBerry OS 10.1: Swipe down from the top of the display, tap Settings, tap BlackBerry Link, tap Use Cellular Network. Be aware that additional data charges may be incurred if this feature is used.
- For more information, visit docs.blackberry.com. Under the BlackBerry Manuals & Help section, choose BlackBerry Manuals > Smartphones > BlackBerry smartphones. Choose the relevant BlackBerry smartphone model. User guides are easily identified in the list by the words User Guide at the beginning of the title. Choose the relevant user guide and search for "REMOTE FILE ACCESS" to find relevant information. Additional help may be found on the BlackBerry smartphone’s Help application. Start the Help application, tap the Search icon (magnifying lens), and search for "REMOTE FILE ACCESS".
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.