- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
- BlackBerry 10 smartphones
This article is primarily intended for a person who is supporting a customer in a store or on the phone.
If customers use their BlackBerry smartphones for work, they will experience different behaviors than if used in a personal-only manner. Access to corporate email, data, and websites may be controlled through BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.
For more information, visit docs.blackberry.com and choose Administrator Documentation.
Issues with corporate data
If a customer experiences issues with corporate data on their BlackBerry smartphone, use the following steps as a guide for troubleshooting.
Initial troubleshooting steps
Determine if the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone is managed by an IT administrator:
- On the application grid, swipe down from the middle of the BlackBerry smartphone display. Note whether the titles Personal and Work appear at the top of the display. Alternatively, check if the Settings application contains the BlackBerry Balance category. If either is true, the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone is associated with a BlackBerry Device Service and BlackBerry Balance technology is active.
- If neither Personal nor Work appear at the top of the display, or the Settings application does not contain the BlackBerry Balance category the BlackBerry smartphone may be fully personal or fully corporate. Ask the customer whether their BlackBerry smartphone is managed by an IT administrator.
- If BlackBerry World is present, but BlackBerry World – Work is not, the BlackBerry smartphone is fully personal.
- If BlackBerry World – Work is present, but BlackBerry World is not, the BlackBerry smartphone is fully corporate.
- If the BlackBerry smartphone is associated with a BlackBerry Device Service, ask the customer to contact their IT administrator for further support. If the customer cannot contact their IT administrator or the BlackBerry smartphone should no longer be associated with a BlackBerry Device Service, they may delete their Work space from Settings > BlackBerry Balance > Delete. All data associated with the Work space (work contacts, work email messages, work files, etc.) will be deleted.
- The customer may work in an organization with limited mobility requirements which has chosen not to use a BlackBerry Device Service, or only uses Microsoft ActiveSync. If the customer is not associated with a BlackBerry Device Service, they may still be using their BlackBerry smartphone for work, but a Balance partition is not created and they do not receive the information protection or management benefits provided by BlackBerry Balance. Determine if the customer has an IT administrator. This can help to narrow down the issue.
Additional troubleshooting steps
Ask the customer to speak to their IT administrator for issues related to corporate data on the BlackBerry smartphone. If the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone is fully personal, their issues are not related to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. Proceed to other troubleshooting steps based on the specific customer issue.
If a customer uses their BlackBerry smartphone for work, and cannot access the Personal space, their IT administrator may have enabled an IT policy rule that removed the Personal space on their BlackBerry smartphone and it has become fully corporate. Ask the customer to contact their IT administrator.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.