- BlackBerry 10 OS
- Discovery Service
- BlackBerry Balance
- BlackBerry Hub
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
BlackBerry smartphone users may experience issues with email. This article provides information to help troubleshoot email issues.
Regarding use of BlackBerry Software: Individuals working in a retail support capacity may assist customers with updating, backing up, restoring and reloading their software by providing the appropriate KB, if applicable, and using customer’s hardware ONLY. In order to protect the privacy of customer data, only the BlackBerry Virtual Expert tool should be used.
Note: BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Link are for customer use only.
The first step in resolving a customer issue is to perform a physical inspection of the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information, see KB35521.
The following articles provide information to help with general troubleshooting:
The following articles provide information to help with advanced troubleshooting:
- KB35001 - Overview of the Discovery Service
- KB33822 - Unable to register activation passwords with the Discovery Service when the user's email address contains an apostrophe
- KB34678 - Unable to send emails over a certain size or emails with attachments from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33929 - How to add an email recipient to the BCC field when sending an email from an account integrated on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB34704 - "Cannot create a temp file for the specified attachment" appears when opening attachments on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33995 - Emails sent from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone arrive to the recipient with an incorrect timestamp that is off by one or more hours
- KB34799 - Unable to send or receive email and BlackBerry Hub freezes after adding IMAP account
- KB34152 - Unable to send emails with attachments stored in the work perimeter
- KB34009 - "MessageStatus: Protocol layer was unable to send a message" is displayed when sending email with an attachment on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33887 - Unable to open e-mail message received on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone as EML or MSG attachment
- KB34910 - Email attachments received to an email account integrated using IMAP may show an incorrect file size on the BlackBerry smartphone
- KB34270 - "[No body found]" is displayed rather than the actual email body
- KB34703 - Unable to open an attachment on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone if a digital signature was used on the email
- KB34771 - BlackBerry 10 smartphone shows email suggestions for recipients in "To", "Cc", and "Bcc" fields
- KB33260 - BlackBerry (hosted) email address forwarding for BlackBerry 10 OS
- KB34065 - Unable to search for call log entries in the BlackBerry Hub on the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
- KB33716 - How to add mail folders on Email accounts in the BlackBerry Hub
- KB33533 - Deleting email from Gmail account in BlackBerry Hub does not actually delete the email
- KB34025 - Deleting a private Facebook message thread results in all private threads disappearing from the BlackBerry Hub on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33829 - After an OTA update BlackBerry Hub and PIM may not load correctly
- KB33902 - Searching for text messages by contact name in the BlackBerry Hub on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not return any results
- KB33808 - Messages from random accounts will randomly stop appearing in the BlackBerry Hub
- KB34478 - Received SMS text messages do not appear within the BlackBerry Hub on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33560 - Email messages deleted from the BlackBerry 10 smartphone are not moved to a Trash or Deleted Items folder and instead are permanently removed
- KB33847 - Mailbox folder hierarchy is not correctly displayed
- KB15161 - How to perform a Remote search for email messages using a BlackBerry smartphone
- KB33688 - Unable to integrate an IMAP hosted email account on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33812 - How to integrate iCloud contact, calendar, or email accounts on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB29891 - Unable to configure email on BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry PlayBook due to restrictive mail servers
- KB33772 - How to change or set the auto email signature on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB34871 - "Your account is no longer synchronized with your device. Check that your account settings are correct. If they are correct, contact your email service provider" displayed on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33828 - ActiveSync email messages disappear and then reappear a few minutes later on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33480 - BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not startup and displays either a phone with a USB icon or an error with a link to www.bberror.com after an interrupted Security Wipe
- KB33472 - How to integrate a Google Apps email account using Microsoft ActiveSync
- KB34651 - Gmail account on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone becomes invalid intermittently with the error "Your login information for IMAP server [imap.gmail.com] has changed or is incorrect. Please check your account settings."
- KB33882 - No setting available to change HTML email to plain text on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33619 - Supported Microsoft ActiveSync Features and Policies for use with BlackBerry 10
- KB33591 - How to perform a Security Wipe on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- KB33494 - Performing a Security Wipe on BlackBerry 10 takes longer than expected
- For User Guides, Visual Demonstrations, and Tutorials, visit docs.blackberry.com. Under the BlackBerry Manuals & Help section, choose BlackBerry Manuals > Smartphones > BlackBerry smartphones. Choose the relevant BlackBerry smartphone model.
- Additional help may be found on the BlackBerry smartphone's Help application.
Searching for other possible solutions
If a solution is not found by using the information or articles linked above, use the following tips to effectively search the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for a solution:
- Use the customer's words.
- For example, BlackBerry will not turn on instead of The device will not boot or startup.
- Use keywords and be straight to the point (avoid filler).
- For example,
When theBlackBerry has been turned off itwill not turn on
- For example,
- Use quotes to search for an exact set of words.
- For example, Application net_rim_bb_vvm is not responding finds many articles, but "Application net_rim_bb_vvm is not responding" finds only the article with the exact error.
- Refine search results by entering another search in the Search Within search box or by selecting the applicable product from the Focus Your Results section in the left sidebar.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.