- BBM for Android
- BBM for iPhone
- iPod touch
- BBM for Windows Phone
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
Customers may experience issues with BBM for Android and iPhone devices. This article provides information to help troubleshoot BBM issues for Android and iPhone devices.
Regarding use of BlackBerry Software: Individuals working in a retail support capacity may assist customers with updating, backing up, restoring and reloading their software by providing the appropriate KB, if applicable, and using customer’s hardware ONLY. In order to protect the privacy of customer data, only the BlackBerry Virtual Expert tool should be used.
Note: BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Link are for customer use only.
The following articles provide information to help with general troubleshooting:
- KB35534 - Installing BBM on an Android smartphone
- KB35535 - Installing BBM on an iPhone
- KB35536 - Troubleshooting installation issues
- KB35537 - BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone first time set up and configuration
- KB35136 - How to check the version of BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
The following articles provide information to help with advanced troubleshooting:
- KB35135 - Supported platforms and devices for BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- KB35414 - BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone is unable to send or receive messages over a cellular network
- KB35114 - BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone does not proceed past the “Setting up BBM” screen
- KB35273 - Name and display picture for BBM contact are not shown in BBM for iPhone
- KB35310 - The BBM display picture or avatar is not updated in BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- KB35294 - When attempting to open or set up BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone an error is displayed
- KB35402 - Unable to send more than three PING!!! messages in a row
- KB35466 - Contact is not added to the Contacts tab in BBM for Android or iPhone after accepting a BBM Invitation from a contact
- KB35250 - BBM messages are not received in BBM for Android
- KB35233 - Banner or alert notification is received from a BBM contact or BBM group but the message is not displayed
- KB35381 - Notification Tone does not sound when a new message arrives in the BBM for Android application
- KB34137 - How to confirm a BlackBerry ID account
- KB35059 - How to invite a new contact using BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- KB35007 - How to change or update the BlackBerry ID Username in BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- KB35103 - How to reset the BlackBerry ID account on BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone if the Password Recovery Answer is unknown
- KB35360 - How to create a BlackBerry ID account on BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- KB34776 - Resetting the BlackBerry ID password using the password recovery question for BBM for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone
- Visit www.blackberry.com/bbmsupport, and select the platform.
- External resources:
Searching for other possible solutions
If a solution is not found by using the information or articles linked above, use the following tips to effectively search the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for a solution:
- Use the customer's words.
- For example, BlackBerry will not turn on instead of The device will not boot or startup.
- Use keywords and be straight to the point (avoid filler).
- For example,
When theBlackBerry has been turned off itwill not turn on
- For example,
- Use quotes to search for an exact set of words.
- For example, Application net_rim_bb_vvm is not responding finds many articles, but "Application net_rim_bb_vvm is not responding" finds only the article with the exact error.
- Refine search results by entering another search in the Search Within search box or by selecting the applicable product from the Focus Your Results section in the left sidebar.
If the available resources do not resolve a customer’s BBM issue, visit http://www.blackberry.com/bbmsupport, click the Contact us for additional assistance button, and assist the customer in completing the support web form.
The customer should immediately receive a confirmation email with an incident number, which they should save for the duration of the incident. A BlackBerry Technical Support Services representative will contact the customer within 48 hours by email. If the customer does not receive the incident confirmation email or any other email messages after confirming the supplied email address is valid, advise them to check their spam folder, filters, and other standard email troubleshooting steps. After 48 hours, if the customer is not contacted by a BlackBerry Technical Support Services representative, confirm their email address is valid and assist them in submitting a new support form.
Incidents are closed only after customer confirmation or if there is no response from the customer after multiple contact requests.
Note: BBM support is only available by email. Support correspondence is available in a variety of languages, however, if the customer’s language is not available, the correspondence will be in English.
If the issue requires assistance beyond the support web form process, use the established escalation procedures.
Note: This article contains information previously documented in KB35538
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.