- BlackBerry 7 and earlier
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
If a customer hears low, distorted, or no volume when playing audio, use the following steps as a guide for troubleshooting.
Ask the customer about the volume of audio playback:
- Ask the customer if they verified the file being used for playback is a supported file type.
- Ask the customer if they tried using the volume keys to change the volume.
- Ask the customer if the file was transferred from another source (for example, a computer).
- Ask the customer if they can play a different audio file on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Ask the customer if they can hear sound using a headset.
- Ask the customer if they selected the desired profile setting under the Profiles (BlackBerry Device Software 5 and earlier) or Sound and Alert Profiles application (BlackBerry 6 and later).
To assist in troubleshooting the customer’s issues, use the following steps as a guide:
- Advise the customer that certain file types are not supported by the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information about supported file types, visit docs.blackberry.com and search for “supported media types”.
- Advise the customer to use the volume keys to change the volume setting. The volume keys are located on the side of the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Advise the customer that when they transfer files from another source (for example, a computer) the file may become corrupt. To verify the file is not corrupt, try the file on another compatible device.
- Confirm that the BlackBerry smartphone audio settings are not set to All Alerts Off or Vibrate Only.
- Note: These sound profile settings are available in the Sound and Alert Profiles application.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.