- BlackBerry 7 and earlier
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
A customer may experience issues with SIM card errors on their BlackBerry smartphone. These errors may say:
- Insert SIM
- SIM Rejected
- Data Connection refused
Try the following actions to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, proceed to the next troubleshooting step:
- Try to reproduce the issue using a different, known good SIM card. If you cannot reproduce the issue, advise the customer to contact their wireless service provide to obtain a new SIM card.
- Make sure the SIM card network matches the BlackBerry smartphone network. To check that the network is the same as the network labeled on the BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:
- On the Home screen, select Options.
- Select Mobile Network.
- For BlackBerry 6 to 7.1, click Network Connections.
- The name in the Mobile Network field must match the network labeled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Make sure the SIM card is correctly inserted in the BlackBerry smartphone. Reposition the SIM card or reinsert the SIM card securely into the SIM card slot on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Make sure the SIM card is not damaged. If the SIM card is damaged, advise the customer to contact their wireless service provide to obtain a new SIM card.
- Make sure data services are provisioned for the SIM card.
- Make sure that you are in an area of adequate signal strength. If the signal strength is weak, move to an area with better wireless network coverage.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.