- BlackBerry 7 and earlier
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
If the customer’s BlackBerry smartphone charges slowly, use the following as a basis for helping the customer.
Ask the customer about their charging methods:
- Are they using third-party batteries or chargers?
- Are they using an old BlackBerry charger?
- Is the customer using alternative charging methods (for example, car USB port, airplane seat, or computer without any BlackBerry device management software such as the BlackBerry Desktop Software)?
- How much time does it take to fully charge the battery?
- Advise the customer to only use the battery and charger that BlackBerry specifies for use with their particular BlackBerry smartphone model.
Ask the customer about their charging habits:
- Determine if the customer uses the BlackBerry smartphone during charging.
- Advise the customer to limit use of their BlackBerry smartphone during charging as it causes charging to occur more slowly than if it was not being used.
Ask the customer if they have a faulty battery:
- Determine if the BlackBerry smartphone battery behaves in an unpredictable manner.
- A faulty battery could charge slowly, or not at all. Test swapping out the battery (if possible), charger, and BlackBerry smartphone with known good components.
For more information, visit docs.blackberry.com. Under the BlackBerry Manuals & Help section, choose BlackBerry Manuals > Smartphones > BlackBerry smartphones. Choose the relevant BlackBerry smartphone model. User guides are easily identified in the list by the words User Guide at the beginning of the title. Choose the relevant user guide and search for Power to find relevant information. Additional help may be found on the BlackBerry smartphone’s Help application. Start the Help application, tap the Search icon (magnifying lens), and search for Power.
For visual demonstrations, visit docs.blackberry.com. Under the BlackBerry Manuals & Help section, choose BlackBerry Manuals > Smartphones > BlackBerry smartphones. Choose the relevant BlackBerry smartphone model. Visual demonstrations are easily identified in the list by the words How To Demos at the beginning of the title.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.