- BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry OS 7.1 and earlier
- BlackBerry Desktop Software 7.1
The BlackBerry Desktop Software will indicate if a BlackBerry Device Software update is available when the BlackBerry smartphone is connected.
To update the device software, complete the following steps:
Note: It can take up to an hour to complete the update. During that time, do not disconnect the smartphone from the computer.
Open BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer.
- When prompted, click Update > Get update.
- To backup and restore data and settings during the update, select Back up your device data.
Important: If the Back up your device data option is not selected, the data is not backed up and all data, settings, and email messages will be deleted from the smartphone.
Click Install update.
For other options to reinstall or upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software, see the following KB articles:
- To update through the web, see KB16068.
- To reload BlackBerry Device Software, see KB03621.
- To perform a clean reload on Windows, see KB11320.
- To perform a clean reload on Mac OS, see KB19915.
- To use a Mac computer to update or make changes to applications on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB19150.
- To install BlackBerry Device Software using the application loader tool on a shared computer, see KB04537.
- To install BlackBerry Device Software using the application loader tool in automated mode on a shared computer, see KB04510.
Note: BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 to 7.1 must be installed on the shared computer.
To download BlackBerry Device software for your device, see the following link:
For additional information on BlackBerry Desktop Software, see
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.