- BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 to 7.1
There are several reasons to update the BlackBerry Device Software that include:
- To access new applications and features
- To resolve a technical issue
- A wireless service provider requires an update of the BlackBerry Device Software
If an updated version of the BlackBerry Device Software is available for download, BlackBerry Desktop Software will present a prompt after being connected to the BlackBerry smartphone.
It might take up to an hour to update the BlackBerry Device Software. During that time, do not disconnect the BlackBerry smartphone from the computer.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer.
- On the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Update.
- To download an update, click Get update.
- To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
- Do any of the following:
- To keep a backup file of your smartphone data and settings, select the Back up your device data checkbox. This backup file is restored to the smartphone after the update is complete. If the data is not backed up, the smartphone data, settings, and email messages are deleted from the smartphone after the update is installed.
- To encrypt the backup data, click Encrypt backup file.
- Select the Keep me subscribed to email notifications checkbox to receive email updates when new versions of the BlackBerry Device Software become available.
Click Install update.
For other options to reinstall or upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software on the BlackBerry smartphone, see the appropriate KB article:
- To perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using the BlackBerry Desktop Software, see KB03621.
- To perform a web-based upgrade of the BlackBerry Device Software, see KB16068.
- To install the BlackBerry Device Software using the application loader tool on a shared computer, see KB04537.
- To install the BlackBerry Device Software using the application loader tool in automated mode on a shared computer, see KB04510.
Note: BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.1 to 7.1 must be installed on the shared computer.
To perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry smartphone software on a Mac computer, see KB19915.
To use a Mac computer to update or make changes to applications on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB19150.
BlackBerry smartphone software 4.2 and earlier require it to be installed on the computer prior to updating the BlackBerry smartphone. To locate the BlackBerry device software for a specific BlackBerry smartphone please see the Desktop & Device Software Download Sites for BlackBerry users.
Additional features of the BlackBerry Desktop Software can be found in the BlackBerry Desktop Software User Guide.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.