- BlackBerry® Device Software 4.5 to 6.0
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP6 to 5.0 SP2
- BlackBerry® Internet Service
For BlackBerry® Device Software 4.5 to 6.0, HTML formatted content is supported on the BlackBerry® smartphone if the email account is integrated with the BlackBerry® Internet Service or with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server of at least version 4.1 SP6.
When HTML content is received on the BlackBerry smartphone that supports HTML formatting, in-line images, font colors and styles are represented within the email message. An example of an email message with HTML formatted content is shown as follows:
If the HTML formatting has rendered the content in a way that prevents easy viewing, and it would be preferable to view the plain text content of an email message, complete the following steps:
- Display the menu.
- From the menu, select Get Plain Text as shown in the following image.
The resulting plain text content is shown as follows:
Note: BlackBerry smartphones running versions of BlackBerry device software earlier than 4.5 display email messages in plain text. HTML content is handled differently depending on the type of BlackBerry service utilized.
When integrated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server or a BlackBerry Internet Service account:
- The BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Internet Service server searches the HTML email message for the plain text portion.
- The server removes HTML formatting and delivers a plain text email message to the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Embedded images are forwarded either as attachments or hyperlinks.
Note: With BlackBerry Internet Service, the HTML formatting code is displayed if there is no plain text to display.
When using BlackBerry® Desktop Redirector:
- The BlackBerry Desktop Redirector searches the HTML email message for the plain text portion.
- A plain text email message is sent to the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Embedded images are removed or included as hyperlinks.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.