- BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.5 to 6.0.2
- BlackBerry® Device Software 3.6 to 6.0
- BlackBerry smartphones
The application loader tool is installed with the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It enables BlackBerry smartphone users to install software on the BlackBerry smartphone. By installing the BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device Software on a shared computer, the application loader tool can be run over a network to install software on multiple BlackBerry smartphones. The administrator is responsible for setting up the shared computer and for providing BlackBerry smartphone users with a link to the application loader tool. This technique can be used for installing all versions of BlackBerry Device Software.
Note: For BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.5 to 6.0.2, the application loader tool can be run in automated mode. This feature enables the administrator to upgrade multiple BlackBerry smartphones with limited user interaction. For more information, see KB04510.
BlackBerry® Device Manager must be installed on the BlackBerry smartphone user's computer.
Complete the following tasks:
- The administrator sets up the shared computer and provides access to the application loader tool.
- The BlackBerry smartphone user installs the BlackBerry Device Software.
Task 1 - Set up the shared computer and provide access to the application loader tool
The administrator must complete the following steps:
- Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.5 to 6.0.2 on a shared computer.
- Install the BlackBerry Device Software on the shared computer.
- Share the Research In Motion folder in the following location:
<drive:>\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
- Provide BlackBerry smartphone users with the following Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path to the location of the application loader tool:
\\<shared_computer_name>\Research In Motion\Apploader\loader.exe /defaultusb /forceload
Note: The path can be distributed by email or posted on an intranet web page.
Task 2 - Install the BlackBerry Device Software
Each BlackBerry smartphone user must complete the following steps:
- Verify that BlackBerry Device Manager is installed on the computer.
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
- Open the path to the application loader tool that is provided by the administrator (see Task 1, Step 4)
- The Application Loader Wizard appears. Click Next.
- Complete one of the following actions:
- If the Communication Port Selection dialog box appears, select a port option from the drop-down list or select the Detect Communication Port check box. Click Next
- If the Device Security Password dialog box appears, type the BlackBerry smartphone password and click Next
The application loader tool searches the shared software directory for software updates to install, then displays a list of the applications to be installed on your BlackBerry smartphone.
- If the Device Provisioning screen appears, click the option representing the messaging and collaboration server being used (for example, Microsoft® Exchange or IBM® Lotus® Domino®), then click Next.
The BlackBerry Device Software is downloaded to the BlackBerry smartphone.
Warning: Do not disconnect the BlackBerry smartphone until the process is complete.
- When the installation is complete, click Finish to close the Application Loader Wizard.
For more information, visit the BlackBerry Product Documentation site and search for "Install BlackBerry Device Software Application Loader."
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.