- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software 4.0 to 5.0 SP3
Email messages may be duplicated when the enterprise activation process performs a pre-population of email messages that were restored to the BlackBerry® smartphone prior to the enterprise activation process.
- Back up the data from the BlackBerry smartphone prior to removing the data. For more information, see KB12487 and KB14058.
- The system administrator for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server should set the message pre-population count to 0 by completing the following steps:
- In BlackBerry Manager, select BlackBerry Enterprise Server from the left pane.
- Select the Server Configuration tab, and then select Edit Properties.
- Select Messaging.
- Set the Prepopulation by Message Count to 0 and apply the changes.
- Restore the messages database from the backup file created in step 1. For more information, see KB03953.
- Perform an enterprise activation process of the BlackBerry smartphone.
This resolution works for the following reasons:
- Once the first Enterprise Activation is completed and the radio is turned off, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server pends new email messages.
- The offline restore erases the information transferred to the BlackBerry smartphone by the first enterprise activation process.
- The second enterprise activation process does not pre-populate the messages because the BlackBerry smartphone user is already active on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
- The second enterprise activation process triggers the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to forward the pending email messages.
It is possible that some new email messages will not reach the BlackBerry smartphone. This applies to email messages received while the resolution is being completed. The shorter the time between the resolutions steps, the less likely that new messages will not be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone. It is recommended that you perform this procedure when the BlackBerry smartphone user is not likely to be receiving new email messages.
These steps are only required when pre-population is turned on in the environment and when some BlackBerry smartphone users require a backup and restore of their BlackBerry smartphone data.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.