- BlackBerry® Smartphone Software 4.5 to 7.0
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1 SP6 to 5.0 SP3 MR5
- BlackBerry® Internet Service
Wireless BlackBerry® Smartphone Software updates allow BlackBerry® smartphone users to update the BlackBerry® Smartphone Software and BlackBerry Device Software applications wirelessly. BlackBerry smartphone users do not need to connect their BlackBerry smartphones to a computer to update the BlackBerry Smartphone Software, a Software Update icon appears on the home
screen of the BlackBerry smartphone when an update is available.
The BlackBerry smartphone user may want to update for the following reasons:
- To access new applications and features
- To resolve a technical issue
- The wireless service provider requires an update the BlackBerry Smartphone Software
BlackBerry smartphone users, wireless service providers, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrators are able to send requests to check for wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates. A BlackBerry smartphone user can check for updates manually through the BlackBerry smartphone options menu under Software Updates . The BlackBerry smartphone user can accept, decline, or defer a wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software update request. If a BlackBerry smartphone user defers a wireless BlackBerry Device Software update, a reminder appears on the BlackBerry smartphone every 24 hours.
Note: The wireless service provider or BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator might not allow an end BlackBerry smartphone user to request an update to the BlackBerry Smartphone Software over the wireless network, or might not allow an update when there is a greater volume of network traffic. Contact the wireless service provider or BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator to confirm this.
The wireless service provider determines the wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates that are available for the BlackBerry smartphone and the availability date of the updates. For information about support for wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates on the BlackBerry smartphone, contact the wireless service provider. In some corporate environments the BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator may control what versions of wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates are available, when on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server contact the administrator.
The available types of updates might be a platform update, a partial software update, or a complete software update. If the available update is a complete software update, the BlackBerry smartphone data is backed up on the Blackberry smartphone and restored during the installation process.
Types of wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates
There are three types of wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software update packages.
- Update applies to applications on the BlackBerry smartphone other than Java® applications (for example, the software for
the Java Virtual Machine, native support libraries for the Java Runtime Environment, Operating system, and wireless transceiver)
- Approximate size of update package: 500 KB
- Approximate duration of download: 5 minutes
- Approximate duration of installation of the wireless software update: 15 minutes
- Update applies to the BlackBerry smartphone wireless transceiver code
- Approximate size of update package: 1 MB
- Approximate duration of download: 15 minutes
- Approximate duration of installation of the wireless software update: 45 minutes
- Updates the BlackBerry Smartphone Software (including Java® applications)
- Approximate size of update package: 15 MB
- Approximate duration of download: 30 minutes to 2 hours
- Approximate duration of installation of the wireless software update, including backing up and restoring the BlackBerry smartphone data: 75 minutes to 120 minutes
Note: The duration of the download and installation processes for wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates depends on the BlackBerry smartphone model, the type of update, the size of the update package, the type of wireless network connection, and the wireless network conditions. Wireless BlackBerry Device Software updates may significantly increase the amount of wireless data transmitted to the BlackBerry smartphone and result in additional data charges.
For further information on wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software updates and how to perform a Wireless Software update, please see the product documentation on Updating the BlackBerry Smartphone Software at http://docs.blackberry.com.
For information about BlackBerry smartphone, wireless service provider, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server requirements to perform a wireless BlackBerry Smartphone Software update, see KB15626.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.