- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager version 4.6 to 5.0
- BlackBerry® Media Sync
- Microsoft Windows Vista™
When attempting to start BlackBerry Media Sync from within the Media application in BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.6 to 5.0 the following prompt appears:
The BlackBerry Media Sync installation failed to initialize. Please run BlackBerry Desktop Manager with administrative privileges and try again.
When launched from BlackBerry Desktop Manager, BlackBerry Media Sync requires full administrative privileges to complete the installation.
This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
Complete the appropriate workaround to install BlackBerry Media Sync:
Workaround 1 - Run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager as a local administrator
- If BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running, close it before proceeding.
- On the desktop, right-click the BlackBerry Desktop Manager shortcut and click Run as administrator.
- When the BlackBerry Desktop Manager starts, connect a BlackBerry smartphone.
- Click Media > Media Sync to install.
Workaround 2 - Download BlackBerry Media Sync seperately from BlackBerry.com
- On the computer that the BlackBerry Media Sync is to be installed on, open a browser and navigate to http://www.BlackBerry.com/mediasync.
- Click the Download tab.
- Click Download.
- Type the required information and click Next to start the download.
Workaround 3 - Change User Account Control (UAC) prior to installation
- On the computer, go to Control Panel > User Accounts.
- Click Turn User Account Control on or off.
- Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer checkbox (This feature is turned on by default in Windows Vista).
- Click OK and then restart computer to enable this change.
- Connect a supported BlackBerry smartphone to the computer after the BlackBerry Desktop Manager starts.
- Click the BlackBerry Media Sync icon in the Media application to install.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.