- BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.5 and later
- BlackBerry smartphones
- BlackBerry Application Center
After you perform a wireless BlackBerry Device Software upgrade and a security wipe, certificates are no longer present on the BlackBerry smartphone.
As a result, the following may occur:
- BlackBerry smartphone users receive the error message Authentication with Server Failed or Failed to authenticate server when trying to refresh their connection to the BlackBerry Application Center.
- BlackBerry smartphone users receive the Connection Error error message when trying to upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software over the wireless network at a later time.
- BlackBerry smartphone users are not able to browse to some Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) web sites using Hypertext Transfer Protocol over Secure Sockets Layer (HTTPS).
An application is available to push certificates on to the BlackBerry smartphone. The application can be downloaded and installed using one of the following methods:
Download and run the application on the BlackBerry smartphone
- In the Browser application on the BlackBerry smartphone, go to http://www.blackberry.com/go/missingcerts.
- Click Download.
- Click Reset Now or Reset Later, when prompted. The BlackBerry smartphone must be reset for the certificates to be installed.
Note: If Reset Later is selected, the BlackBerry smartphone user is prompted at predefined intervals to reset the BlackBerry smartphone until the reset occurs. The prompts occur at
- 5 minutes.
- 10 minutes (later)
- 20 minutes (later)
- 40 minutes (later)
- 60 minutes (later)
- 80 minutes (later)
- 60 minutes (until reset occurs)
- Confirm that the certificates are present on the BlackBerry smartphone by clicking Options > Security Options > Certificates.
Download and run the application using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager
- Download and extract the contents of the attached file (HF2008018_ReloadCerts.zip) to the computer.
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB connection.
- Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Click Application Loader.
- In the Add/Remove Applications section, click Start.
- In the Device Application screen, click Browse.
- Navigate to the extracted folder from step 1, and click the net_rim_bb_hf2008018_reloadcerts.alx file.
- Click Next, then click Finish to complete the process.
Reinstall the BlackBerry Device Software using the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager.
Note: For the most recent version of the BlackBerry Device Software that is available for your BlackBerry smartphone, go to www.blackberry.com/updates.
This issue only occurs when you perform a security wipe on the BlackBerry smartphone after a wireless BlackBerry Device Software upgrade. To avoid this issue, do not perform a security wipe after you perform a wireless BlackBerry Device Software upgrade.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.