- BlackBerry® Messenger 5.0
- BlackBerry smartphones
The following is a subset of new or updated features found in BlackBerry Messenger 5.0. For more information on the features of BlackBerry Messenger 5.0, refer to the BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 User Guide.
- Supported on BlackBerry® Device Software 4.5 and later.
- Certain features may require a specific version of BlackBerry Device Software.
- BlackBerry smartphone users that use BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 can communicate with BlackBerry smartphone users that use previous versions of BlackBerry Messenger.
Enhanced SMS Integration
- Unified interface for sending and receiving Short Message Service (SMS) text messages and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messages.
- Single contact list for most personal mobile to mobile communications.
- Conversational, chat-like user experience.
- Reply area at the bottom of the Conversation screen for responding to SMS text messages.
- Personalization of SMS contacts, such as avatars.
Note: SMS integration is only available on BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and later.
Contact List back up to file and restore
- Backups can be made to the following locations:
- Media card
- Built-in media storage
- Over the wireless network, by registering the email address
- When a backup is complete, it is possible to restore the contact as well.
- Reliable contacts restore when performing a Device Switch.
- BlackBerry smartphone users can display their own unique barcode for others to scan.
- Add BlackBerry smartphone users to the BlackBerry Messenger Contact List by scanning a BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 user’s barcode using the BlackBerry smartphone camera.
- Barcode can be scanned to join a group or an individual's BlackBerry Messenger contact list.
Block ability to invite more participants
- Owners (initiators) of conversations can block participants from being added by other participants.
- If a BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 user creates a conference with BlackBerry Messenger users using an earlier version, BlackBerry smartphone users with earlier versions of BlackBerry Messenger are able to invite more participants to the conference.
Set Subject for Conversations
- Ability to set and change subject for a conversation.
Large files transfer support
- The maximum size of file that can be transferred is increased from 15KB to 6MB.
- Not compatible with the previous versions of BlackBerry Messenger.
- Send the same message to multiple users.
- Choose which BlackBerry Messenger users to broadcast a message to.
- BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 message history allows messages to be saved, displaying a timeline of conversations with BlackBerry Messenger users.
- Conversations become searchable and saved.
Blocking or Ignoring Users
- BlackBerry Messenger users have the option to block and ignore users.
- Any messages from the ignored users are discarded, but the message received is considered to be delivered.
- Stay connected with your friends by creating, joining, or inviting friends to join a group.
- The ability to update, share, and communicate with a subset community of your social universe on a regular basis.
- Share pictures, calendar events, list, and various other items for others to see, update, and discuss.
- Groups have a limit of 30 users.
- BlackBerry Messenger users can choose a picture from the on-device gallery and save it as their personal avatar.
- BlackBerry Messenger users can view avatars of contacts in the contact list.
- Share the name of a song that is playing with other BlackBerry Messenger contacts.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.