- BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 to 5.0
- BlackBerry® Smart Card Reader 1.0 and 2.0
- 144k Gemalto® smart card
When attempting to import certificates to a BlackBerry® smartphone from a 144k Gemalto smart card, the import does not complete.
The smart card drivers need to be updated on the BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry® Smart Card Reader.
In order to import certificates from a smart card to the BlackBerry smartphone keystore the following must apply:
- The S/MIME Support pack is installed on the smartphone.
- The same version of BlackBerry Smart Card Reader software is installed on the smartphone and Smart Card Reader.
- The same version of smart card drivers are installed on the smartphone.
- The smartphone and Smart Card Reader must be Bluetooth and Secure paired.
Update smart card drivers method 1:
- On the BlackBerry browse to http://www.blackberry.com/go/smartcarddrivers .
- On the website select the required drivers.
- Next check the set applications permissions box and click download.
- When prompted enter the smartphone password.
- Press the menu button and select save to accept the default application permissions.
- If prompted to overwrite existing files, choose yes.
Update smart card drivers method 2:
- From the PC Desktop browse to http://us.blackberry.com/ataglance/security/products/smartcardreader/drivers/ or to the smart card manufacturer website.
- Download the correct version of smart card drivers for the smartphone software version.
- Connect the smartphone to the USB cable.
- Go to Programs > BlackBerry > Application Loader, and when prompted enter the smartphone password.
- Click add and browse to the location where the downloaded jad file was saved.
- Then click next and follow the prompts.
To import certifcates stored on the smart card to the smartphone keystore:
- Next pair the smartphone and smart card reader
- Go to Options > Security > Smart card.
- Press the menu button and choose Import Smart Card Certs.
Follow the prompts.
Note: Private keys are not imported to the BlackBerry keystore, instead, a pointer to the private key on the Smart Card is placed in the handheld keystore.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.