- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 SP2
- BlackBerry® smartphones
- DT 833075
After an update to BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 SP2, all BlackBerry® smartphone users are unable to browse, receiving HTTP 400 bad request. A proxy server in the environment appears to block the traffic.
By default, the BlackBerry® Mobile Data System Connection Service 5.0 SP2 uses scalable HTTP, which permits the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service to use fewer system resources and to establish more socket connections at one time than previous versions of the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service. When a BlackBerry MDS Connection Service uses scalable HTTP, it streams data to and from BlackBerry smartphone, instead of storing and forwarding the data.
Most proxy software does not allow streaming data connections, resulting in HTTP 400 bad request errors.
The BlackBerry MDS-CS log records the following line when attempting to open connection:
LAYER = IPPP, Exception while trying to use http proxy: class java.io.IOException
To have the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service process data as it did in previous versions of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server requires a change in the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service from using scalable HTTP.
- In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the Servers and components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution topology > BlackBerry Domain > Component view > BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.
- Click the instance to be prevented from using scalable HTTP.
- Click Edit instance.
- On the General tab, in the Socket connection settings section, in the Use scalable HTTP drop-down list, click No.
- Click Save all.
- Restart the MDS Connection Service.
Use Scalable HTTP and Use Scalable Socket Connections options are turned on automatically when BackBerry Enterprise Server is upgraded to Service Pack 2.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.