- BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1
- BlackBerry smartphones
When Encryption is enabled for the Media Card in a BlackBerry smartphone the files will have a .rem extension appended to the file. Encrypted files copied from the media card of the BlackBerry smartphone to a computer will not open on the computer.
Encrypted files on the media card which are copied to the computer are still encrypted on the computer. Since the files can only be decrypted by the BlackBerry smartphone, the files are unable to be opened on the computer.
Using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1, encrypted files may be copied from the media card of the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
During the copy process, the files stored on the computer will be decrypted by the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
To copy Media Card files to the computer with BlackBerry Desktop Software:
- Open BlackBerry Desktop Software
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
- In the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click on the Files icon
- Within the Files window of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click the BlackBerry icon and double click Media Card from the list.
- Files and folders displayed within the BlackBerry Desktop Software can now be selected and copied to the computer.
The BlackBerry Desktop Software will perform decryption on the files which may cause the copy process to take longer than expected.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.