- BlackBerry 10 OS
- BlackBerry Device Software 5.0
- BlackBerry 6 to 7.1
BlackBerry 10 will support data migration from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or BlackBerry 6 to 7.1.
There are two methods to transfer data between the BlackBerry smartphones.
Method 1: Using a MicroSD card
Note: This method only applies for BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 7.0 and later
Prior to beginning a BlackBerry 10 migration from a BlackBerry 7 smartphone, ensure:
- A MicroSD card is present in the BlackBerry 7 smartphone, and there is available space in which to create a backup file.
- There is a power source to charge both BlackBerry smartphone models during the migration process.
- There is no IT Policy in use that would inhibit the migration process (if activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server). If a Policy is in use, contact the IT Administrator for more information and a suggested method for migration.
On the BlackBerry 7 smartphone
- Open the Setup application.
- Select Device Switch.
- Select Using a Media Card.
- Select Transfer Data.
- Follow the prompts.
- A message is displayed Transferring Saved Data, this indicates the data transfer to the media card is in progress.
- Saved Data Transferred is displayed indicating that the data has been backed up to the media card.
Important: If BBM 7 and above is in use, the BBM contacts will not be stored in the backup file. The BBM contacts are associated with the BlackBerry ID that is in use on the BlackBerry smartphone. Log in with the same BlackBerry ID on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone in order to restore these contacts. For more information, see KB20554.
- Remove the media card from the BlackBerry 7 smartphone and place it in the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
On the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- Select the Setup application (the default location is on the 3rd icon panel).
- Select the Device Switch application.
- The media card will then be checked, and instructions will be displayed.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the process is completed, a list of items that have been transferred will be displayed.
Method 2: Using BlackBerry Link
Note: This method requires a PC or Mac with BlackBerry Link installed.
- BlackBerry Link only supports BlackBerry PlayBook tablets and BlackBerry 10 smartphones, with the exception of the initial data migration from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or BlackBerry 6 to 7.1 to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
- BlackBerry Link is available from www.blackberry.com/blackberrylink and is able to run simultaneously with BlackBerry Desktop Software for easy migration to BlackBerry 10.
- BlackBerry 10 smartphones will provide an option for auto-install of BlackBerry Link when connected to a computer (Mac and Windows)
Prior to using BlackBerry Link for migration, ensure that:
- BlackBerry Link is installed on the PC or Mac that will be utilized for the migration.
- Both BlackBerry smartphone models are detected and can connect to BlackBerry Link on either the PC or Mac.
Follow the below steps for transferring data using BlackBerry Link
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or BlackBerry 6 to 7.1.
- Select the name of previous BlackBerry smartphone at the bottom the BlackBerry Link screen
- A page will be displayed with a message that The device is not supported by BlackBerry Link, on the same page select Transfer Data.
- On the next page click Next, the data from this BlackBerry smartphone will then begin to backup.
- Once the backup is complete, BlackBerry Link will prompt for the new device to be plugged in. Unplug the old BlackBerry smartphone and plug in the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
- The screen will appear stating that the data is being transferred.
- Once completed, unplug the BlackBerry 10 smartphone as it is ready for use.
If the previous smartphone is not available a backup file can be used
- Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the computer using the USB cable.
- At the bottom of the BlackBerry Link screen, press the up arrow to the right of the name of the new BlackBerry smartphone.
- Select Restore > Restore from backup file > Legacy Device Backup Files.
- Select the desired backup file.
- Place a checkmark next to the data to restore to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. To restore all supported data, place a checkmark next to Restore all data.
Note: For a description of the BlackBerry smartphone databases, refer to KB03974.
- Press Restore.
Note: The following data will not be migrated:
- Notification Profiles
- BlackBerry ID
- Paired Bluetooth devices
- BIS-integrated email accounts (sent or received emails)
- Data associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Installed applications
- Custom auto-text (word substitution)
For more information regarding data not transferring during migration, refer to KB33523.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.