- BBM Protected
- BlackBerry smartphones
- Android devices
- iOS devices
BBM Protected uses public encryption standards to digitally sign and encrypt messages in order to establish secure communications between users. BBM Protected works seamlessly within BBM, to allow users to message their friends and family with default BBM encryption at the same time as they message their sensitive contacts with enhanced encryption. BBM Protected uses FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic libraries to ensure that BBM Protected satisfies the security requirements for protecting unclassified information as defined by the Federal Information Processing Standards. BBM Protected meets or exceeds NIST Suite B Cryptography for signing, encrypting and hashing.
For general information about BBM Protected, visit www.blackberry.com/bbmprotected.
View the latest BBM Protected announcement on the Inside BlackBerry Business Blog:
BBM Protected is available for BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10, iPhone, and Android devices. BES is no longer required for using BBM Protected.
Device Operating System requirements
- For BlackBerry OS devices, BBM Protected will work with BlackBerry OS version 6.0, 7.0, or 7.1
- For BlackBerry 10 devices, BBM Protected will work on BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2, 10.2.1, or 10.3
- For iPhone, BBM Protected will work on iOS 6.0 or later
- For Android devices, BBM Protected will work on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) or later
BBM Version requirements
- For BlackBerry OS devices, BBM Protected requires BBM version 8.5 or Later.
- For BlackBerry 10 devices, BBM Protected requires BBM version 10.3.30 or later.
- For iPhone, BBM Protected requires BBM version 2.7 or later.
- For Android devices, BBM Protected requires BBM version 2.7 or later.
BES is not required to use BBM Protected. For BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10, iPhone, and Android devices BBM Protected is now managed through the Enterprise Identity Administration Console – a service you get when you purchase your BBM Protected subscriptions! For more information, visit docs.blackberry.com/enterpriseidentity to read the Enterprise Identity by BlackBerry Administration Guide.
To purchase BBM Protected User Licenses:
- Contact your BlackBerry Account Manager or licensed distributor to order your BBM Protected User Licenses or order them directly through the BlackBerry Enterprise Store.
- After ordering your licenses, you will receive a confirmation email. Click the link in the email to log in to the Account Center.
- Claim your licenses and accept the license agreements. After claiming the licenses, you will receive an email that confirms the purchase of the licenses. The email also includes a link where you can download files.
- Download the .bar and .cod files if you have not previously downloaded and installed BBM on your users' devices.
- You will receive an invoice after claiming the licenses. Licenses expire after one year, as they are purchased as an annual subscription.
Unlike BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 or BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12 device licenses, BBM Protected licenses do not need to be added to the server. Management of BBM Protected subscriptions is now done through the Enterprise Identity Administration Console. Keep a record of the license information in a safe location, as BlackBerry may perform periodic audits to ensure that the appropriate number of BBM Protected licenses have been purchased for the environment.
If a supported version of the BBM application is already installed, you do not need to download it again. The BBM Protected features can be enabled via the Enterprise Identity Administration Console for applicable users.
To push the BBM client to users that do not have it installed, find the appropriate application files in the BlackBerry Download Center.
Alternatively, downloaded directly from BlackBerry World:
- Download BBM for BlackBerry 10
- Download BBM for BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 6 and later
To download BBM for iOS devices, visit www.bbm.com/iphone or search for BBM in the App Store.
To download BBM for Android devices, visit www.bbm.com/android or search for BBM in Google Play.
Documentation View the BBM Protected Security Note.
View the BBM Security Note.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.