- IBM Lotus Sametime for BlackBerry smartphones 2.6.15
- BlackBerry 18.104.22.1681 and 22.214.171.1246
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0
- BlackBerry Collaboration Service
- DT 8554063
- JI 597815
Some users are unable to log into IBM Lotus Sametime for BlackBerry smartphones. Other users on the same BlackBerry Enterprise Server are able to log in.
The BlackBerry smartphone displays the following:
Internal Error. Please try again later.
and an error code: -9
In most cases, the user can log into the same environment using another user's BlackBerry smartphone.
As the BlackBerry smartphone user's contact list is being retrieved from the Instant Messaging servers and linked to the existing contacts on the smartphone, a NullPointerException is encountered on the smartphone. This occurs due to an unexpected condition or data in one or more contacts on the smartphone.
Complete the following to work around the issue:
- Move the user's work contacts to an external location that does not synchronize to the smartphone.
- Clear the local contacts on the device.
- Attempt to log in.
- Once successfully logged in, add some contacts back to the account to synchronize to the smartphone and repeat the login attempt. This process may help isolate which contact(s) are causing the issue.
Another possible workaround is to downgrade the BlackBerry Device Software to an earlier version, but this is not recommended.
When this situation occurs, the BlackBerry Collaboration Service BBIM logs will not show an error, but a logout request from the device.
For example, this Sametime logout:
= BBIM, EVENT = ReceivedFromDevice, SRPID = S00000000, DEVICEPIN =
12G34H56, USERID = user1, TAG = 63F4E72E, SIZE = 33>
<2014-04-09 15:40:08.312 EDT>::<BBIM_BCSSERVER1_BBIM_4>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = BBIM, DEVICEPIN = 12G34H56, USERID = user1, THREAD = DefaultJobPool-Thread-6, TAG = 1676994350, EVENT = INCOMING, TYPE = 3, METHOD = onLogout, SERVICEID = 1, SIZE = 33>
<2014-04-09 15:40:08.312 EDT>::<BBIM_BCSSERVER1_BBIM_4>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = BBIM, EVENT = LOGOUT, LAYER = BBIM, DEVICEPIN = 12G34H56, USERID = user1, DETAIL = Logged out by ST:0>
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.