- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.0 to 5.0
- BlackBerry® Desktop Software
- Microsoft® Outlook®
After synchronizing the BlackBerry® smartphone, email messages deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone are not deleted from the Microsoft® Outlook® inbox. Similarly, email messages deleted from the Microsoft Outlook inbox are not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone.
Note: The Hard Deletes Reconciliation feature in BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1 can be turned on so that email messages permanently deleted in Microsoft Outlook are removed from the message list on the BlackBerry smartphone. This feature is disabled by default. For more information, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Administration guides found here
Complete the following steps in order until resolution is obtained:
Step 1 - Verify the email message was not permanently deleted from Microsoft Outlook
When the email message is permanently deleted from Microsoft Outlook, it is not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone during email reconciliation. An email message can be permanently deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone by holding down the Shift key while pressing the Delete key, or by deleting the email message from the Deleted Items folder.
After permanently deleting an email message from the Inbox folder in Microsoft Outlook, manually delete the email message from the BlackBerry smartphone.
Step 2 - Verify Microsoft Outlook is configured not to empty the Deleted Items folder.
Microsoft Outlook is configured to automatically empty the Deleted Items folder which permanently deletes email messages. When an email message is permanently deleted from the Microsoft Outlook inbox, it will not be deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone during email reconciliation.
Make sure that Microsoft Outlook is not configured to empty the Deleted Items folder every time Microsoft Outlook is closed, by completing the following steps:
- In Microsoft Outlook, under the Tools menu, select Options.
- Click the Other tab.
- Make sure that the check box beside Empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting is not selected, then click OK.
Step 3- Verify the Delete On option is set not to Handheld.
The Delete On option on the BlackBerry smartphone is set to Handheld. As a result, email messages deleted on the BlackBerry smartphone will not be deleted in the Microsoft Outlook inbox during email reconciliation.
Change the Delete On option to Mailbox & Handheld, by completing the following steps:
- On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen select Messages.
- Display the menu and select Options.
- Select Email Reconciliation.
- Highlight the Delete On option.
- Display the menu and select Change Option.
- Click Mailbox & Handheld.
Note: If the Delete On option is already set to Mailbox Handheld, change it to Handheld. Save the settings, and change it back to Mailbox & Handheld. Save the settings again.
Step 4 - Verify the Reconcile Email check box is selected.
Select the Reconcile Email check box, by completing the following steps:
- On the computer, open BlackBerry® Desktop Manager and double-click the Intellisync® icon.
- Make sure that the Reconcile messages check box is selected.
- Click Close.
Note: If the Reconcile Email check box is already selected, clear the check box. Close and re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Select the Reconcile messages check box again.
Step 5 - Verify that the FolderManagement registry value is not corrupt.
Delete the FolderManagement registry value.
Warning: Modifying the computer registry can cause substantial damage to the Windows® operating system. Document and back up the existing registry entries prior to implementing any changes.
To perform this task, complete the following steps:
- On the computer, close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize.
- In the right pane, click the FolderManagement registry value and press Delete.
- In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click Yes.
- Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and verify that the synchronization settings are correct.
- Synchronize the personal information management (PIM) applications.
Step 6 - Verify email messages were not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone with the Delete Prior option.
When the Delete Prior option is set to delete email messages after synchronizing the BlackBerry smartphone, the email messages are not deleted from the Microsoft Outlook inbox.
Complete one of the following:
- Delete email messages individually on the BlackBerry smartphone
- Delete email messages from the Microsoft Outlook inbox after using the Delete Prior option.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.