- BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 7 OS and earlier
- BlackBerry Desktop Software
While attempting to update the BlackBerry BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows, the process fails and the following error message appears on the smartphone:
This error message indicates that no applications are loaded on the smartphone.
During the software update, existing applications on the smartphone were erased, however new applications were not installed.
This may occur if the connection to the computer is lost during the update process due to one of the following issues:
- The power management feature on the computer turned off power to the USB ports during the update process.
- The smartphone is connected to the laptop through a docking station.
Complete the following steps:
- Ensure the laptop is disconnected from any docking station and connect the smartphone directly to the laptop using the USB cable.
- Check the computer's USB power management settings. See KB13331.
- Reload the BlackBerry device software. See KB11320.
- A backup file may have been created as part of a previous attempt to update the BlackBerry Device Software. It may be possible to restore information such as contacts and calendar entries by using this backup file. For steps to restore the information from a backup file, see KB10339. If a backup was never performed, the information may not be recoverable.
- Third party applications will not be installed as part of the reload process and will need to be re-installed.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.