- BlackBerry® Messenger
To Download & Install:
If not already installed on the BlackBerry® smartphone, the BlackBerry® Messenger application must be downloaded to the BlackBerry® smartphone (from www.blackberry.com/messenger ) to enable use of the instant messaging features.
It can also be downloaded via BlackBerry® App World™.
To Set Up:
First time BlackBerry® smartphone users of BlackBerry® Messenger must specify a display name that identifies them to the other BlackBerry® smartphone users. They must also create a password. For more information, refer to the BlackBerry Messenger User Guide .
After creating a display name and password, the BlackBerry® smartphone user is automatically logged in when the BlackBerry® smartphone is turned on and connected to the wireless network.
Choose the availability level:
For BlackBerry® Messenger 5.0
- From the Home screen, selct BlackBerry® Messenger.
- In the Contact List screen, display the menu, and click My Status or My Profile. The statuses to choose from are Available (will allow incoming messages to be received) or Unavailable (prevents message from being received)
- Select the desired status, and if applicable, enter a message in the Message: field.
- Click OK.
Note: The busy icon will occur if a BlackBerry® smartphone user is engaged in other activity, such as using the keys or trackwheel or trackball, and the unreachable icon will appear if the contact is out of sufficient wireless coverage or using the phone
For BlackBerry® Messenger 6.0
- In the Contact List screen, display the menu, and scroll to choose View My Profile. The statuses to choose from are Available, Busy or status could be customized by selecting Personalized Status.
- Select the desired status. If Personalize Status is choosen, a description could be entered in the description field.
- Click OK afterwards.
Note: The busy icon will occur if a BlackBerry® smartphone user sets the status to Busy
Change the Display Name
To change the display name, do the following:
- From the Home screen, select BlackBerry® Messenger.
- On the Contact List screen, display the menu, and click Edit My Info or My Profile.
- Edit the display name, and click OK.
Set Notification Options
The BlackBerry® smartphone user can set notification options, such as vibrate or tone, for BlackBerry® Messenger in the Profiles list. Enabling the Messenger-Alert notification option in Profile settings notifies when a contact that have set an availablity alert for becomes available.
Enabling the Messenger-New Message notification option notifies when a new instant message arrives.
To set a notification profile for BlackBerry® smartphone with BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0, do the following:
- From the Home screen, select Profiles > Advanced.
In the Profiles list, click on a profile.
- Click Edit.
- Click on a notification option.
- Click Edit
- To set the desired options, display the menu, and click Change Option, and select the desired parameters.
- Display the menu, and click Save.
To set a notification profile for BlackBerry® smartphone with BlackBerry® Device Software 6.0, do the following:
- From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, select Profiles.
In the notification Profiles list, click Change Sounds and Alerts
- Next proceed to select Sounds for Selected Profile
- Click the option to be changed. Example: +Instant Messages - Notifiers
- Click BBM New Message and make the desired changes
- Scroll to the bottom and click "Try it"
- Display the menu, and click Save.
To receive an indication when a contact is available, do the following:
- From the Home screen, select BlackBerry Messenger.
- Click on an unavailable contact on the Contact List screen.
- Click Set Alert to turn on an availability alert.
- To turn off an availability alert, click Clear Alert.
To receive an indication when a contact is available for BlackBerry® smartphone with BlackBerry® Device Software 6.0, do the following:
- From the Home screen, select BlackBerry Messenger
- From the BlackBerry® Messenger Contact list, select a target contact to receive a Notification Alert from when the contact change their BlackBerry Messenger Status from Available to Busy
- Launch the display the menu button and choose Set Contact Alert
Note: A Set Contact Alert option is only seen if the contact is currently set to Busy status
- To test if this is working, have the target contact which sets the contact alert for to switch his BlackBerry® Messenger Status from to Busy to Available
- An alert or ring tone would play according to how it was set for th e primary BlackBerry® Messenger with the Se t Contact Alert enabled.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.