- BlackBerry® smartphones
One of the following error messages appears on the Home screen of the BlackBerry® smartphone:
Memory card contains errors, please use a disk checking utility on a computer.
A Media Card has been inserted that contains errors. To correct the errors please use a disk error-checking utility on a computer.
Media cannot be accessed due to fatal errors.
Complete the appropriate steps in order until resolution is obtained:
Step 1 - Scan the media card or on-board device memory for errors
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to a computer, and enable Mass Storage Mode. For instructions, see KB13564.
- Double-click My Computer. A drive showing as BlackBerry<drive> will be listed as a Device with Removable Storage.
- Right-click BlackBerry<drive> and select Properties from the drop-down list.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
- Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
- Click Start.
Note: This error might appear for both the on-board device memory and the external media card. Double-click both BlackBerry<drive> items to determine which is the external media card and which is the on-board device memory and then follow the preceding steps for the appropriate drive.
Tip: The Repair menu option under Options > Memory in BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0, Options > Device > Storage for BlackBerry Device 6.0 and 7.0 can be used to repair the on-board device memory or external media card directly from the BlackBerry smartphone.
Step 2 - Format the media card
Warning: The following procedures will delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data prior to performing the procedure. For instructions, see KB12487.
- On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options
- Complete the appropriate following step:
- For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 or earlier, click Advanced Options > Media Card.
- For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 to 4.7.1, click Media Card.
- For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, click Memory.
- For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 6.0/7.0, click Device > Storage.
- Display the menu and select Format or Format Card.
- If the BlackBerry smartphone contains both an external media card as well as on-board device memory, a prompt will appear with a choice for which memory to format, followed by the option to format either the Media Card or the Device Memory.
- Select the memory containing the errors.
Step 3 - Format disk using computer (MAC only)
On a MAC complete the following steps:
- Select Go > Utilities.
- Select Disk Utility.
- From the left side bar, highlight the microSD card.
- Click Repair Disk.
This article contains information previously documented in KB15907.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.