- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 for IBM® Lotus® Domino®
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 for Microsoft® Exchange
BlackBerry® Device Software configuration is a feature in BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 which allows an administrator control over how users' smartphones can upgrade their device software.
Step 1 - Configure the BlackBerry® Administration Service to manage BlackBerry Device Software deployment:
By default, the BlackBerry Administration Service does not display the BlackBerry Device Software pages that permit you to create the BlackBerry Device Software configuration. Follow these steps to enable this feature:
- In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the Servers and components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution topology > BlackBerry Domain > Component view > BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Click BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Click Edit component.
- In the Software Management section, in the BlackBerry Device Software deployment managed by BlackBerry Administration Service drop-down list, click Yes.
- Click Save All.
Note: When these changes have been applied, the values change for the following IT policy rules in the 'Wireless Software Upgrades' policy group, and the rules cannot be viewed or changed:
- The Allow Non Enterprise Upgrade IT policy rule changes to the default value No.
- The Disallow Device User Requested Upgrade IT policy rule changes to the default value Yes.
- The Disallow Device User Requested Rollback IT policy rule changes to the default value Yes.
Step 2 - Search for available Device Software bundles and assign to a Device Software Configuration:
- In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand Software.
- Expand BlackBerry Device Software
- Select Search for new wireless BlackBerry Device Software bundles.
- Change the support type drop down menu and click Search. (The blank option will return all results).
- Click Edit supported BlackBerry Device Software bundles.
- Change the desired source and destination bundle to Supported and select Save all.
- Click on Create a BlackBerry Device Software Configuration.
- Specify the configuration name and description and save it.
- Select the name of the Device Software configuration you created, and select the BlackBerry Device Software Bundles tab
- Select Edit BlackBerry Device Software Configuration, and select Add BlackBerry Device Software bundles to Device Software Configuration
- Perform a Search for the bundle that was set to supported in step 5, ensure it is checked, and select Add to BlackBerry Device Software Configuration.
- In the Configuration Information tab, set the required configuration options and select Save all.
Step 3 - Create a Software Configuration and add the Device Software Configuration to it:
- On the left-pane, under BlackBerry Solution Management, select Create a software configuration.
- Enter the name of the software configuration.
- Make selections for Disposition for unlisted applications and Application control policy for unlisted applications.
- Click Save.
- Click View Software Configuration List and select the new software configuration.
- Click Edit software Configuration.
- Select the drop-down under BlackBerry Device Software Configuration.
- Select the BlackBerry Device Software Configuration you created .
- Click Save All.
Step 4 - Assign the software configuration to the BlackBerry smartphone user:
- On the left-pane, under BlackBerry Solution Management, expand User.
- Click Manage Users.
- Click Search.
- Click on a user account.
- Click on the Software Configuration tab.
- Click Edit User.
- Under Available Software Configurations, select the software configuration.
- Click Add.
The software configuration should then appear under Current Software Configurations.
- Click Save all.
Note: Once a Software Configuration is assigned to a user, click on View resolved BlackBerry Device Software bundles under the Software Configuration tab and ensure that the bundle appears. Afterwards, navigate to Manage deployment job tasks and verify that the BlackBerry Device Software jobs are created. Allow sometime for the job Status to change from Ready to deliver to Success.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.