- BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone
- BlackBerry® Storm™ 9550 smartphone
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 smartphone
- BlackBerry® Device Software 220.127.116.113 to 18.104.22.1683
- BlackBerry® 6
- BlackBerry® Messenger for BlackBerry® smartphones
- DT 980101
In certain scenarios after upgrading to BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 or BlackBerry® 6, the Address Book application does not open or one contact may appear duplicated several times. In some situations, the following error may be displayed upon startup of the BlackBerry® smartphone or when launching BlackBerry® Messenger:
Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, please upgrade to BlackBerry Device Software 22.214.171.1244 or higher.
For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry 6, please upgrade to BlackBerry 126.96.36.1997 or higher.
For information on how to to upgrade to the most recent version of BlackBerry Device Software Software, please see KB03901.
In the event a software upgrade is not available, please perform a factory reset on the BlackBerry smartphone using the following steps:
- Back up the smartphone.
- Reset the smartphone to factory settings using the loader.exe tool. For instructions, see KB18998.
- Perform a selective restore of the backup file. Do not restore the Address Book database.
- Synchronize the Address Book application with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.