- BlackBerry smartphones
- BlackBerry ID
- BlackBerry Internet Service
- BlackBerry 10 OS
This issue occurs if both the password and password recovery question are not known. If the recovery question is known please follow the first part of the workaround section.
If you have moved to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone you can continue to receive email sent to your BlackBerry (hosted) email address by setting up email forwarding to a different email address. Please follow the steps here to set up forwarding. Once forwarding has been set up generate a password reset email from https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/recoverpassword and access the password reset email to complete the password reset process. Also if using your BlackBerry email address as your BlackBerry ID username it is strongly recommended to login and change your BlackBerry ID username to a different email address. Please follow the steps here to change your BlackBerry ID username.
To add an additional security layer to the BlackBerry ID password reset process the reset email generated from https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/recoverpassword is not delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone.
This is designed to prevent unauthorized access to the password reset email for cases where the BlackBerry smartphone is lost or stolen.
Note: The term BBID may also be used as a shortened form of BlackBerry ID.
If the password recovery question is known follow these steps to generate the password reset email:
- Select Forgot Password from the sign-in screen on the smartphone or tablet
- Enter the BlackBerry ID username and select OK
- Enter the answer to the recovery question and select OK
- From the BlackBerry smartphone locate the password reset email and complete the process to reset the password
If both the password and password recovery question are not known please follow the steps below to forward a copy of the BlackBerry ID password reset email to a mail source with a physical mailbox such as gmail.com
Note: If the BlackBerry ID account is not confirmed it is required to provide the answer to the password recovery question as part of the web based password reset flow. Due to this the steps below may not work if the recovery question is not known.
To see if a BlackBerry ID account is confirmed login to the BlackBerry ID account, select Account Details and locate the Email Status field. For instructions on confirming the BlackBerry ID account follow KB34137
Access the BlackBerry Internet Service account from the device or from the carrier’s website
- Edit the auto forward setting for the BlackBerry hosted email address to forward all messages to an email source with a physical mailbox:
To enable auto forwarding from the device follow: KB28155
To enable auto forwarding from the carrier’s website follow: KB12837
- Change the default mail filter setting to not forward messages to the BlackBerry smartphone:
To add a filter from the device follow: KB28151
To add a filter from the carrier’s website follow: KB04389
- Once completed please browse to https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/recoverpassword
- Enter the BlackBerry ID username, the verification code and select Submit
- Login to the external email source that was configured above and confirm that the password reset email was received
- Once confirmed please remove the filter to resume receiving mail
- It is recommended to leave the forwarding rule in place to backup email sent to the BlackBerry Hosted Email Address as it is only delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone
- Access the password reset email and complete the process to reset the password
Note: If the BlackBerry ID account is not confirmed it is required to provide the answer to the password recovery question during the password reset process
- It is recommended to login and update the email address that is used to one that uses a physical mailbox for password reset purposes
To update the BlackBerry ID account on the BlackBerry ID website please follow the steps:
- Visit www.blackberry.com/blackberryid from a PC or the BlackBerry Browser
- Click Log in
- Enter the BlackBerry ID Username (email address) and password, then click Sign In
- Click Account Details
- Next to Details, click Edit
- Remove the current Username (email address) that is displayed and replace it with the Username you want to use, then click Save
- Click Done to exit from the BlackBerry ID account information screen
To update the BlackBerry ID account on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet please follow: KB31045
To update the BlackBerry ID account on a BlackBerry smartphone please follow: KB32514
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.