- BlackBerry 10 OS
The following information is intended for retail support representatives who are assisting customers with troubleshooting.
The customer may experience the following audio-related issues when making calls:
- During phone, BBM Voice, or BBM Video calls, the speaker, headset, or speakerphone do not function as expected.
- The customer experiences distorted or one way audio (for example, “I cannot hear a caller”, or “they cannot hear me”) during calls.
- The customer experiences poor audio in conjunction with a hearing aid.
During BBM Voice and BBM Voice calls, audio quality varies with the devices used in the conversation as per the following:
Table 1: Audio Quality Performance Matrix
|Calling Device||Receiving Device||Caller Hears||Receiver Hears|
|Z30 landscape||Z30 landscape||BlackBerry Natural Sound||BlackBerry Natural Sound|
|Z30 landscape||Z30 portrait||BlackBerry Natural Sound||Stereo|
|Z30 landscape||Z10 landscape||Mono||Mono|
|Z30 landscape||Z10 portrait||Stereo||Mono|
|Z30 landscape||Q10 portrait||Mono||Mono|
|Z30 landscape||Q5 portrait||Stereo||Mono|
|Z30 landscape||Connected audio||Mono||Stereo|
Ask the customer about their audio experience during calls:
- Ask the customer if they hear distorted audio or no audio through the regular BlackBerry smartphone speaker.
- Ask the customer if they can hear calls using their speakerphone.
- Ask the customer if they can hear calls using an external audio accessory (for example, wired or wireless headsets).
- Ask the customer if the poor audio quality is experienced by a user who does not require a hearing aid.
If a customer has difficulty with their audio during calls, use the following steps as a guide for troubleshooting:
- Make a call using the phone application, BBM Voice, or BBM Video to test the ability to hear both sides of the conversation. If practical, the receiver of the call should be in the same location as the caller.
- Advise the customer to use the volume keys to change the volume setting. The volume keys are located on the side of the BlackBerry smartphone. If the customer is using an external audio accessory, adjust its volume.
- Advise the customer that they may experience distorted audio in areas of bad coverage or low bandwidth.
- If the customer is using a hearing aid, verify that Hearing Aid Mode is turned On.
- Swipe down from the top of the display, tap Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Aid Settings > set Hearing Aid Mode to On.
- If there is a problem with a third-party application, advise the customer to contact the developer of the application.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.