- BlackBerry Device Software 2.7 and 4.0 to 5.0
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 to 5.0
When a successful wireless enterprise activation process initializes a BlackBerry Smartphone for the first time the enterprise activation process consists of two main parts:
- Stage 1 - Activation of a BlackBerry Smartphone user's account on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Stage 2 - Full synchronization of the BlackBerry Smartphone user's organizer data, which is referred to as slow synchronization
When the enterprise activation process stops responding before it is complete, please refer to the causes and resolutions below.
The enterprise activation process stops while an encryption key is being generated.
An incorrect email address was entered.
Confirm that the password is correct on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
During the enterprise activation process, an email message is received from the following address:
The BlackBerry Policy Service on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is not started. If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a member of a High Availability Pair, the BlackBerry Policy Service should only be started on the active PRIMARY server
Resolution for Cause 1
Cancel the activation and try to activate the BlackBerry Smartphone after verifying the following:
- The activation password has been set on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator can confirm whether the password has been set.
- The wireless transceiver is turned on and the BlackBerry Smartphone status indicator appears in upper case letters (indicating good network coverage).
Warning: The following procedure deletes either all data, or all data and applications from the BlackBerry Smartphone. Back up the data on your BlackBerry Smartphone before proceeding. For instructions, see KB12487.
The BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator should be contacted to complete the following steps:
- Delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry Smartphone. For instructions, see KB02318.
Note: Make sure the wireless transceiver is turned off.
- Contact the BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator to set the activation password on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. For instructions, see KB05128.
- Click the Enterprise Activation icon on the BlackBerry Smartphone. If the icon is not present, click Options > Enterprise Activation.
- Type the email address and password from step 2.
- Display the menu and select Activate. The enterprise activation progress bar appears and the process completes after several minutes.
Resolution for Cause 2
Verify that the correct email address is used during the enterprise activation process following these steps:
- In BlackBerry Manager, click Server.
- On the User List tab, right-click the BlackBerry Smartphone user account, and then click Properties. The email address appears on the General tab.
- Correct the email address, and then try the enterprise activation process again.
Resolution for Cause 3
Correct the password, then try the enterprise activation process again.
Note: The password is case sensitive. Use of the Alt key on the BlackBerry smartphone to type numbers in the password.
Resolution for Cause 4
To determine why this email message has not been received, complete the following steps:
- Check whether a spam filter is blocking the message.
- Verify that the email message is sent to the correct email address.
- Check that the email message is not being blocked by the organization's firewall.
- Determine whether any redirection rules are being applied to the email message as it arrives (for example, the email message is moved to another folder, or the email message is deleted).
- Check that the email client is set to store email messages within the Microsoft Exchange mailbox and not to a personal folder (PST) file.
- Verify that the BlackBerry smartphone is provisioned for BlackBerry Enterprise Server services. The ability to send and receive personal identification number (PIN) messages verifies that the BlackBerry smartphone is provisioned correctly.
Resolution for Cause 5
Start the BlackBerry Policy Service on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by:
- On the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, go to Start > Run and type services.msc.
- Double-click the BlackBerry Policy Service. If the BlackBerry Policy Service displays Stopped, start it.
Note: If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a member of a High Availability Pair, the BlackBerry Policy Service should only be started on the active PRIMARY server
Each time the BlackBerry Enterprise Server processes the network email message for a BlackBerry smartphone user account, the enterprise activation password is automatically cleared and must be reset before another activation attempt can be made. The enterprise activation password is only valid for 48 hours from the time it is set.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.