- BlackBerry® Desktop Software
- BlackBerry smartphones
- Windows® XP, Windows XP Service Packs 1, 2 and 3
You may experience connectivity issues with the Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports if you quickly switch a USB device attached to a Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI) USB host controller. If you unplug one USB device and plug in another USB device within five seconds, the host controller stops functioning. This may also happen during the upgrade process or whenever the BlackBerry smartphone is rebooted while connected to the desktop computer.
For information regarding this issue, search the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base for article 816843.
Testing shows that the issue persists on all versions of Windows XP and that the resolution in Microsoft’s KB article 816843 does not completely address this issue. Please refer to the resolution below to address the issue.
Complete the following for external hubs connecting the BlackBerry smartphone to the root hub.
- On the computer, right-click My Computer and select Properties.
- On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
- Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Complete the following for each USB Root Hub:
- Double-click the USB Root Hub.
- On the Power Management tab, clear the check box beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, then click OK.
- Close the Windows Device Manager.
- Reboot the computer.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.