- BlackBerry® smartphone
The BlackBerry® smartphone user is unable to view the contents of the inserted media card using Windows® Explorer. The media card does appear correctly as a storage device in Windows Device Manager.
Complete the appropriate steps to identify the issue:
Step 1 - Mass storage mode is not enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Enable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB13564.
Step 2 - Validate the version of BlackBerry Desktop Software
If BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.2 or BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.2 SP1 is installed, Roxio Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager is open. Windows Explorer and Roxio Media Manager cannot view the contents of the media card at the same time.
Close Roxio Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Note: When running BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.2 SP2 or later, both Windows Explorer and Roxio Media Manager can view the contents of the media card at the same time.
Step 3 - The media card has not been formatted for the BlackBerry smartphone, or the folder structure on the media card is corrupted.
Format the media card. For instructions, see KB10527.
Step 4 - There is a conflicting drive mapping in Windows between the media card and another resource.
Note: To complete this, the BlackBerry smartphone user must have administrator rights on the computer.
- Open the Computer Management console on the computer by navigating to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
- Select Disk Management on the left pane.
- A list of available resouces will appear. In the volume column, check to see if multiple items are assigned the same drive letter.
- If another resource is mapped to the same drive letter as the media card (such as a network drive), change the drive mapping for the removable media. To perform this, complete the following steps:
- Right-click the removable media item and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Select the current drive letter, and change it to an unused letter.
Note: Network drives are not shown under Computer Management. To verify which drive letters are currently in use open My Computer and list network drives
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.