- BlackBerry® Device Software 4.5 and later
- BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.7 and later
BlackBerry® smartphone users have the option of updating the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones using web-based technology available on the BlackBerry Device Software updates website. As part of the web-based BlackBerry® Device Software update process, BlackBerry smartphone users are provided with a list of available BlackBerry Device Software updates that are approved by their wireless service providers.
Web-based BlackBerry Device Software updates allow BlackBerry smartphone users to perform the following tasks:
- Update the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones
- Add or remove applications and support for languages
- Turn on or turn off notifications for available BlackBerry Device Software updates
To perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update, the following requirements must be met:
- The BlackBerry smartphone requires sufficient application memory available to load the software update. This might require a reduction of old data or the amount of applications installed to the BlackBerry smartphone before the update is loaded. A message appears at the onset of the software update if additional space is required. For more information, see KB24109
- The BlackBerry smartphone must be capable of running BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 or later
- Windows® 2000 or later
- An available USB port on the computer
- Windows® Internet Explorer® 5.5 or later
- Firefox internet browser
Note: Google Chrome is not currently a supported browser for performing Web-Based BlackBerry Device Software updates.
For instructions on how to perform web-based BlackBerry Device Software updates, see KB16068.
For instructions on how to perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update using the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac, see KB19150.
Web-based device software updates are available for BlackBerry smartphones that are associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server version 5.0 SP1 or later, and are running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later. In order for this to be true, a BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator must enable the ability to perform web-based updates by applying the Allow Web-Based Software Loading IT policy. This IT policy rule must be set to Yes (enabled) in order to use this functionality.
Please refer to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Policy Reference Guide, located here.
The following conditions can be seen when using an incompatible browser:
If Active X has not been previously installed, the following message will appear:
"Make sure your computer meets the following system requirements: Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater or Firefox"
If Active X has been previously installed and the default browser is not compatible with Web Based BlackBerry Device Software updates, a prompt will display with alternate options to get the update.
In this instance, please ensure the default browser is set as one of the supported browsers for Web Based BlackBerry Device Software updates (Windows Internet Explorer or Firefox).
This article contains information previously documented in KB16069.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.