- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server version 4.0 to 4.1 SP7
The BlackBerry® Enterprise Server does not require updates to support the new IT policy rules definitions.
Note: The following updates to the IT policy rules definitions might refer to features that are not available in earlier versions of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
To import the IT policy rules definitions, complete the appropriate steps for your software version of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
Method 1 - Update the IT policy rules definitions using the BlackBerry Manager
Complete this procedure for the following software versions of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
BlackBerry Enterprise Server versions 4.1 SP2 to 4.1 SP5
To update the IT policy rules definitions using BlackBerry Manager, complete the following steps:
- Download and extract the attached ITPolicyPackEBay.zip file to a temporary folder on the computer that is hosting the BlackBerry Manager.
- Open BlackBerry Manager.
- Click BlackBerry Domain.
- Click the Global tab.
- From the Tasks list, click Service Control and Customization.
- Click Import IT Policy Definitions.
- In the File Open dialog box, navigate to and open the ITPolicyPackEBay.zip folder.
- Select the EBayITPolicyPack.xml file.
- Click Open to import the IT policy rules definitions.
When the import process is complete, the following message appears:
The import of this IT policy rule definitions file was successful. There were <the_number_of_additions> additions and <the_number_of_updates> updates.
Method 2 - Update the IT policy rules definitions using the loadbesmetadata.exe tool
Complete this procedure for the following versions of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 to 4.1 SP7
Note: Only the loadbesmetadata.exe file included in this KB article should be used. Older versions of the loadbesmetadata.exe file might not be compatible with some IT policy rules. To check the version of the leadbesmetadata.exe file, right-click and select Properties, then click the Version tab. The version should be 126.96.36.199 or higher.
To update the IT policy rules definitions using the loadbesmetadata.exe tool, complete the following steps:
- Download and extract the attached ITPolicyPackEBay.zip file to a temporary folder on the local computer that is hosting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Manager.
- From the command prompt, navigate to the temporary folder that contains the ITPolicyPackEBay.zip file. The loadbesmetadata.exe tool can be run from a computer other than one that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is running on.
- In the root of the temporary folder, type loadbesmetadata.exe -i EBayITPolicyPack.xml and press Enter. For BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP4 running in a Windows® environment with Japanese fonts, make sure that the IT policy rules definitions updates are imported in the Japanese language by typing loadbesmetadata.exe -i itpolicytemplate04242008.xml -l jp_ja in the command prompt.
- Review the screen output and directory log for errors.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.